Tell us what you have learned from the Elite HB members?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Tell us what you have learned from the Elite HB members?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:14 am

Just like the title says ~ [glow=red]add your takeback from the big guns themselves...[/glow]
The big guns can also add what they have learned from other bigguns styles, etc...

After creating the post on Ridgerunner7 and a handful of years chatting with the Patriarchs of the Hunting Beast, etc...
I got to thinking real hard about MY current goals of whitetail hunting...

It seems one constant for hunting Mature Bucks is SCOUTING, Minimal Scent Dispertion and WIND (Dah - I already knew that)!

HOWEVER it's the tactics and[glow=red]improvision[/glow]these [glow=red]"get it done" hunters[/glow]employ that is at another level.
After meeting one of my web site idols - I'll call him "Uncle Stan" for the sake of argument,
he quietly throws tid bits of information into conversation that reeks "experience" (it's a good/great reek though) ;)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
phade
500 Club

Re: Tell us what you have learned from the Elite HB members?

Unread postby phade » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Just like the title says ~ [glow=red]add your takeback from the big guns themselves...[/glow]
The big guns can also add what they have learned from other bigguns styles, etc...

After creating the post on Ridgerunner7 and a handful of years chatting with the Patriarchs of the Hunting Beast, etc...
I got to thinking real hard about MY current goals of whitetail hunting...

It seems one constant for hunting Mature Bucks is SCOUTING, Minimal Scent Dispertion and WIND (Dah - I already knew that)!

HOWEVER it's the tactics and[glow=red]improvision[/glow]these [glow=red]"get it done" hunters[/glow]employ that is at another level.
After meeting one of my web site idols - I'll call him "Uncle Stan" for the sake of argument,
he quietly throws tid bits of information into conversation that reeks "experience" (it's a good/great reek though) ;)

How many matriarchs are there on this site? I thought most of the big buck hunter profiles were male?

year-round processes and scouting/glassing and bed identification are the big ones.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:24 am

I have learned more on the beast in 2 years then I EVER would have just out on my own.

With out the help of all of the beast members, I would still be climbing random trees where I "thought" it "looked" like a good spot.

I would still be thinking that big bucks just lived in the woods and walked around randomly, and I would have never even thought about where a buck was bedding to try and kill him.

I wouldn't know how to target a specific buck and utilize knowledge of bedding to pattern him.

The list could go on forever, but I will end with, how I hunt now, and my whole outlook on hunting is the polar opposite of what it was before I joined. The only thing that is still the same, is that I want to kill big bucks, but thats about it. :D
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:26 am

I have become better at reading topo maps thanks to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:31 am

Reading topo maps, hunting beds, location, location, location!
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 am

I've learned a lot from some of the big woods guys. The hilly terrain videos and hunters really helped my learning curve in that setting as well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:13 am

The hunters on this site and Dan's videos have taught me that I have been hunting the wrong sides of my ridges given the wind for the day.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:38 am

One thing I have learned is that being patient about when to hunt a spot is important to success.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:11 am

I think the biggest things that I have learned are:

Don't be afraid to hunt near buck beds when the conditions are right (historically I would keep those areas as sanctuaries throughout the season).

Hard work and persistance can lead to annual (or more often) trips to the taxidermist.

Location...you can't kill big bucks if they don't hang out where you are hunting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am

This is a good thread... I have learned many things from people here. Mostly small things, but they all add up... If I had to give one specific eye opener, I would say the time we were having a debate about snow tracking bucks in Wisconsin. I made the statement that I had tried snow tracking, and did ok, but gave it up, because even in the most remote areas of Wisconsin I would run into bait pile after bait pile and angry hunters at each... Magic man was quick to respond that the problems I was having was because I was tracking on opening weekend, and all those bait pile sitters were usually done after the weekend... Simple common sense should of told me that, but Todd needed to point it out for me...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:53 pm

I have learned to keep an open mind and absorb any tactics that are shared here. If you come here thinking you know it all already you will never grow as a hunter. I appreciate the wide amount of experiences from all of the members here. Everybody adds their own unique hunting perspectives and all can offer great advice wether they think they can or not.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Dewey wrote:I have learned to keep an open mind and absorb any tactics that are shared here. If you come here thinking you know it all already you will never grow as a hunter. I appreciate the wide amount of experiences from all of the members here. Everybody adds their own unique hunting perspectives and all can offer great advice wether they think they can or not.

Well put, Dewey. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:06 pm

I have learned everything i know from this site, this will be my fourth year hunting and the last three i just picked a spot and sat in a tree. I used the same stand almost every hunt and didnt pay attention to wind or entry and exit routes. I still saw deer but i think this year will be huge and maybe i will get my first buck!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:16 am

Too use milkweed seeds, and to give up on scent control. How to find beds in different habitats. How thermals and wind play into situations. I could go on and on.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:28 am

I have learned how incorporate "buck bedding" areas into my game plan. I was hunting good areas before but not thinking enough about where the bucks were bedding to place stands a little better and use the wind better for entrance and exit. A lot of small "eye opening" ideas and experiences by beast members is giving me more confidence for the upcoming season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”