Tim (Vernon co.) lets here a bio on your hunting career

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Tim (Vernon co.) lets here a bio on your hunting career

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Good stuff Tim. Greatly appreciate you posting up the pics.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:40 am

Nice! Thanks Tim!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:57 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:33 am

i would have posted more guys but the wife was getting annoyed so i did what i could. some of my best pics as far as trailcams always seem to be does with beautiful sunsets. i have yet to check my vernon county traailcams they have been out for almost 5 weeks and im chomping at the bit to get up there to see if i got some good prospects for the year
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:40 am

Tim, I'm also hunting some bluff country in SW WI, but a couple counties south of you. I just purchased the Hill Country bucks DVD this past Spring/early Summer and will be implementing many of the tips I gained from that video such as how to hunt the thermals. In the past I have hunted the top 1/3 of the ridges (I can't remember what side I was on based on wind direction or thermals, though). When I was hunting higher I would see mature bucks in the bottoms way too far out of archery range. When I would set-up in the bottoms I would see and pass many younger bucks (1.5-2.5 yr olds), but would see the larger, more mature bucks up higher on the ridges where I had been set-up previously. :doh:

Do you have any suggestions on how to hunt those ridges/bluffs for mature bucks or do you think the Hill Country DVD covers your techniques?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:46 am

Lots of cool pics and a lotta hard work for sure.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
max

Unread postby max » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:30 am

thanks for sharing sir
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:31 am

:clap: :clap: Great stuff my friend!
YOU are a BEAST!!! :clap: :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:21 am

hey rizzo the techiques i use are covered in that video. im not sure how big your bluffs are or thick. the bluffs im hunting are steep and thick on my own farm i cant see anywhere near the bottom if im on top. but depends on which farm im on the direction of the hill and how the valley runs or if there are other feateures. for instance i hunt a farm where i enter from the road and walk up the hill to my treestand. i am halfwayy down the hill in this particular stand BUT there happens to be a ravine cutting up through the hill with a natural spring, a fenceline and a change in the woodlline so i have all these things going on in one little place and it can be an amazing place to sit all day and deer come from all over the place , it is very hard to even know what is going to go on . but in my steep thick bluffs i hunt closer to the top of the woods because even though im on the top of the wooded area im not at thhe top of the hill according to the topo because i have a buffer of overgrown pasture that feeds into the crops above. so it goes crops, pasture dropping down, then woods so by the time you get to the woods on paper im well on my way down the hill but not too far into the woods if that makes sense. learn how the wind swirls in those bluffs, (each farm you hunt each direction. even though the weatherman might call for a certain wind direction i will test it at times and find that i can get away with what should be wrong but also viceversa. classic time for morning action on my bluffs has been around 9:30 near the ridgetop. i will hunt bottoms regardless of what others might say but usually leave the bottom for super windy days i might othewise not hunt. that picture i posted of that buck i shot in the shoulder was shot in the valley at 9:15 in the morning the wind was howling up top around 30 miles an hour at least and he turned to head up the bluff , so had i not shot him he would have made it to the top around my 9:30 time i stated earlier which was classic for my area and thermal times. im pretty sure i know where he was bedding or at least the general area on the neighbors. sorry for to long of rant....
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:16 am

Tim, great story and photos, well done!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:58 am

tim wrote: classic time for morning action on my bluffs has been around 9:30 near the ridgetop.

Thank you...I now see that maybe I am exiting my stand too early in the AMs. The area I have been hunting sounds rather similiar to your with the highest point on the land and topo is a pasture or a field. The field edge begins down the hill/ridge line. This year I will be using the milk week seeds for the first time if I can locate any of them around here! Historically I used the powders and they dissappear too early. Thanks again Tim!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:41 am

rizzo this overgrown pasture im talking about that are below my crops are where i get my milkweed seeds. check those type areas for these they are all over. i rarely get out of my stands when im hunting a spot like this in the morning until 11:00 or 11:30 i will then jump in the car eat while driving to another farm and get in a stand for the rest of the day if it is rut time. if the action is hot and consistant i will stay all day unless the wind isnt right. 9:30 is cause thats about when the sun starts hitting the valley downw below and the thermals start rising. then those deer down low start heading up the hill. i recently acquired permission to hunt some very good land that has cropland on the bottom, this is new for me as all my farms are crops on top, so this will be new for me if i decide to tackle this farm, im pretty sure i will. i have been surveying the area for quite sometime and have been able to put out trailcams in the past few years and have had some whoppers and shining in the past has put some monsters in the light on this farm.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Nice! :clap:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Good stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:02 am

Great stuff Tim. This is another good thread I've missed over the years

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”