Gov. Walker to open up public land to farmers???????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Gov. Walker to open up public land to farmers???????

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Didnt catch the whole story but I heard because of the drought he was going to open up public land to farmers.He was going to allow 11500 selected acres of warm season and cold season grasses to be grazed as long as they constructed removable electric fencing.It was to be limited to a date of August10th or so to allow these grasses to grow back for the wildlife and sportsman.Not sure but I dont think those grasses will grow back to be much of a help to wildlife or sportsman.Anyone hear where these acres are located?Thought I heard Horicon Marsh was on the list.Im not much of a public land hunter but how do you see this affecting your deer hunting?Im sure pheasant hunters will be mostly affected.Then again maybe interest by the farmers will be low.

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Gov. Walker to open up public land to farmers???????

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Found the story says they will be able to harvest or graze so the interest will probably be huge.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes, IMO this is a great thing for the farmers. My dad will be cutting a field tommorow as well as another farmer I know. We need the hay and it really helps. As for hunting I would not be to worried because it does not sound like that much grass will be taken. Just another way Walker is looking out for the citizens ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 pm

It's already going on. Farmers are cutting all kinds of marsh grass around here. Much more than I have ever seen so I figured something like that had to be going on. Haven't seen any cattle grazing on any public land though. :?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:18 pm

I wouldnt worry about it if you dont have elk or pronghorn.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:28 am

I don't think it will cause any problems.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 am

I assume it's because of the drought? We had a very dry year a few summers back and the gov alllowed farmers to cut hay on set aside ground. I expect them to do that again this year. It's a good thing. Lots of farmers are already feeding hay.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:53 am

goldtip5575 wrote:Found the story says they will be able to harvest or graze so the interest will probably be huge.

Would it be possible to post the story? I have been searching for something on this and came up with nothing! :?
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:09 am

I think its great. The farmers are asked all the time to set aside lands and get involved with the CRP and have very strict regs put on them everytime they turn around. If the state can step in and help them out when they really need it I believe that is the kind of government meddling that should be welcomed.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 am

[tab=30][tab=30]
Dewey wrote:
goldtip5575 wrote:Found the story says they will be able to harvest or graze so the interest will probably be huge.

Would it be possible to post the story? I have been searching for something on this and came up with nothing! :?

If my computer skills were better than a 3rd grader maybe I could.Just go to yahoo and search words gov walker opens public land and it will be one of the first story listings.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:47 am

goldtip5575 wrote:[tab=30][tab=30]
Dewey wrote:

If my computer skills were better than a 3rd grader maybe I could.Just go to yahoo and search words gov walker opens public land and it will be one of the first story listings.

OK thanks. I will try to find it and post it.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 am

Wisconsin Ag News Headlines
State Opens Up Public Lands for Haying, Grazing
Wisconsin Ag Connection - 07/24/2012

Wisconsin farmers may now harvest the hay from about 11,500 acres of selected state-owned lands under a special order from Governor Scott Walker. On Monday, the governor's office announced that the special harvest will begin immediately to help producers that lost crops in this year's drought. The order also allows farmers to graze their cattle on specified properties if they take care of setting up temporary electric fencing and watering tanks.

"The drought is causing a real hardship for farmers, particularly in the southern part of the state who don't have enough feed for their animals," Governor Walker said. "One way we can help bring some relief is to open up state land that is not normally harvested for hay, so that farmers can come in and harvest on a first come, first served basis without a fee."

The special harvest ends August 10 for prairie grasses and August 30 for cool season grasses. The Department of Natural Resources is limiting haying and grazing to this time period to allow for adequate regrowth of the grass to provide habitat for wildlife and hunting cover to sportsmen and women in the fall. Only one cutting of hay will be allowed during the harvest window.

Farmers participating in the program will be required to sign an agreement specifying that the hay taken from state-owned property will be used for livestock and not sold. Areas authorized for harvesting do not include nor in any way affect land to be used for or previously sold under hay sale agreements with the department.

For more information about the special order, call 888-936-7463.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”