Public Land Strategy: Marsh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chasemukluk

Public Land Strategy: Marsh

Unread postby chasemukluk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi All,
First post on thehuntingbeast so I thought I would make it worthwhile for myself and maybe a bit interesting as well. I am from Wisco, but I now live in the "flatland" as that is where my wife and I have been lucky enough to find some good jobs! I do [s]most[/s] all of my hunting in WI now as that is what I know and I don't mind paying the out of state fee. It was weird the first year going room $26 to $160 or whatever, but I have adjusted and save some money for my fishing/bow/gun license each year.

Alright, here is some public land that I hunted last year a bit, but in some different areas. This area is about 1/2 mile from the parking lot and the last 300-400 yards to the marsh is pretty tough to get too. Long grasses and very thick. There are a ton of bird hunters on this piece once pheasant season opens and more squirrel hunters than I have ever seen. So, the trick, after hunting here last season 2 or 3 times, is to find some spots where the squirrel and bird hunters do not go. This is pretty obvious by the "people" trails that are all over the woods. I have included (hopefully), two pictures of the marsh and surrounding areas. I have not scouted on foot as I usually only hunt here if I have a day off or something and don't have time to drive all the way up to Clark County.

The marsh is about 200 yards by 150 yards or so. Roughly. The access to this spot is from the North and could also be from the NE and E on that other blue line. There are food sources around this marsh to the West, NW, and N. So, my assumption is that those deer would bed on those edges of the marsh. A buddy and I are going to go watch it this weekend from a distance just to get a feel for it.

The section of woods by the "Marshy Pinch" pin is about 40 yards wide.

Now, I have never hunted a marsh before, so do you all have any tips for me regarding stand placement/scouting spots here? I have read/watched some stuff on hunting marshes from this site. That is really why I am going to focus in on these spots this year. My thinking is that I could hunt the "Marshy pinch" area (if it looks promising on foot) with an east wind for sure. Could I also possibly hunt it with a west if I am on the E side of the pinch and have my scent blow out over the marsh?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any feedback!

Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Re: Public Land Strategy: Marsh

Unread postby Badger » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Best advise I can give it to get the marsh bucks DVD it's worth every penny and it's not a lot of pennies.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:06 am

Badger wrote:Best advise I can give it to get the marsh bucks DVD it's worth every penny and it's not a lot of pennies.

Thank you. I just ordered it!
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 am

Walk the trails that lead back from food to bedding. Walk the transition line of the marsh and look for the trails coming in and out of the marsh. Look for possible bedding that those trails lead to. Pick a tree downwind of that trail. Think about how you are going to access/exit that spot without bumping the deer out or alerting them to your presence. The funnels should work well ones rut sets in.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 am

I like the island of trees on the west side of the marsh... I do think the marsh is rather small to be real productive in a high pressure area, but if there is a big buck in that area, thats where he should be...
If I were you I would scout it now. At least walk the hard transition where cattails meet the high ground and see if there are any trails going in and out, and look for old rub lines.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:16 am

dan wrote:I like the island of trees on the west side of the marsh... I do think the marsh is rather small to be real productive in a high pressure area, but if there is a big buck in that area, thats where he should be...
If I were you I would scout it now. At least walk the hard transition where cattails meet the high ground and see if there are any trails going in and out, and look for old rub lines.

Thank you! This is a smaller marsh on like 1000 acres or something like that. We will get in there this weekend and see if its worth it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”