"Hunter In The Area" sign??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

"Hunter In The Area" sign??

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:37 am

I was in a store today and saw these bright orange signs that you can hang that say "Hunter in the area, proceed with caution". Do you think these would be helpful on public to deter guys from your area or actually do the opposite? You hang them and remove when the hunt is over. The spots I has in Ohio, I doubt anyone would ever even see it because they're so far back. I'm kinda feeling it will invite unwanted company at least in the future. Might be a good safety thing if you have kids with you. Thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: "Hunter In The Area" sign??

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:38 am

Not sure why this posted twice. Feel free to remove one.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 am

The only place I have seen them used is on urban park hunts and I think it was a requirement...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 am

Seems to me like it puts fear into the general public. Just the way its worded I don't know, something about it makes hunters seem "bad" to me. If the hunters in the area have their heads on straight there's no need to warn the public. I guess if the intention to is to keep them off the ridge you are sitting on or something then they may serve a purpose.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 am

I had a buddy make me some (he does vinyl truck lettering) that were blaze orange on White, and it said hunter ahead, please proceed safely and stealthy or something to that extent. I put like 5 of them out opening morning of rifle season, and I was one of the first hunters there and at day break at least 10 other hunters walked up that trail even though they knew I was there, in fact I nearly got shot. Of the 5 signs I put out 3 of them were stolen, I would say its a waste of time.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:15 am

Brad Lamont wrote:I had a buddy make me some (he does vinyl truck lettering) that were blaze orange on White, and it said hunter ahead, please proceed safely and stealthy or something to that extent. I put like 5 of them out opening morning of rifle season, and I was one of the first hunters there and at day break at least 10 other hunters walked up that trail even though they knew I was there, in fact I nearly got shot. Of the 5 signs I put out 3 of them were stolen, I would say its a waste of time.

Actually maybe that's what it said. I figured anything that drew attention to your spot is probably bad.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm

If I put those up where I hunt it would be an invitation for visitors! :shock:

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I think at the very least, if I spotted a sign, I would walk up and read it. That alone would be enough to keep me from using them. Plus to add some insight, Ive been set up and had hunters walk in, acknowledge me with a wave and then walk a short distance and sit down. I dont get it, kinda like when your on the lake and you see a big group of boats. People that are desperate gravitate towards others, thinking they must be in a good spot and if I park my but this close, maybe they will leave. :roll:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Maybe use them as a decoy, other than that no way I am advertising anything like that where I am hunting.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Might draw unwanted attention to your spots.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 am

Brad Lamont wrote:...Of the 5 signs I put out 3 of them were stolen, I would say its a waste of time.

:lol: No RESPECT MAN!
I personally would never advertise my position. I sneak in, I sneak out and try to be as inconspicuous as possible.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 am

Where I was hunting that day there was no hiding me, plus we have to wear blaze orange so you can tell where most folks are. I did it to put in peoples minds there was already a hunter in that spot so they wouldn't waste their time, they would find another spot. It did not work at all, and I think it attracted more people than it detered. Maybe I am different but I won't hunt a spot that I know someone else is already hunting.
NatureBoy wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:...Of the 5 signs I put out 3 of them were stolen, I would say its a waste of time.

I personally would never advertise my position. I sneak in, I sneak out and try to be as inconspicuous as possible.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 am

Brad, if everybody hunted like that on public land I would be very happy..............unfortunately it rarely happens! :roll:

Brad Lamont wrote:
Maybe I am different but I won't hunt a spot that I know someone else is already hunting.
NatureBoy wrote:

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 am

Brad Lamont wrote:Maybe I am different but I won't hunt a spot that I know someone else is already hunting.

I hear where you're coming from. I avoid others when I know they are hunting an area too. But I have to agree with Dewey that we are the minority, not the majority. So many are like fishermen who see someone fishing a "hot spot" and scoot right over next to the guy.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 am

Brad Lamont wrote:I had a buddy make me some (he does vinyl truck lettering) that were blaze orange on White, and it said hunter ahead, please proceed safely and stealthy or something to that extent. I put like 5 of them out opening morning of rifle season, and I was one of the first hunters there and at day break at least 10 other hunters walked up that trail even though they knew I was there, in fact I nearly got shot. Of the 5 signs I put out 3 of them were stolen, I would say its a waste of time.

And that... pretty much sums up gun season. Maybe a nice way to describe it to a nonhunter or up and coming youth :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”