Which author would you recomend???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

evangorp
Facebook: evangorp66@hotmail.com

Which author would you recomend???

Unread postby evangorp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 pm

I was looking at picking up a book to read to help me learn more about hunting deer on pressured public grounds, I was thinking either Bill Vales book or some of the books by John Eberhart. I want something that kind of meshes with some of what is discussed on here. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

Re: Which author would you recomend???

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 pm

I like all of Greg Millers books, he is a great author and presents things in ways that is easy to follow and picture in your mind as you read it. Some use scenarios that are hard to picture and you end up missing things. He also grew up hunting big woods public deer and I feel that if push came to shove, he still has it in him. I have never read any of John Eberhardts books although I did see all of his video's and read his boys book, and I like them a lot. It is getting harder to find good info because of sponsorship $ biasing opinions and influencing how people hunt, but I do not think you can go wrong with anything Greg Miller or John or Chris Eberhardt wrote.
evangorp
Facebook: evangorp66@hotmail.com

Unread postby evangorp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Theisens here in town has a DVD compilation of all three Eberhardts DVDs on one disc for $9.99, thought I may look at that. I am probably trying to information overload myself, but I went out to the timber yesterday to do some scouting, and things started clicking that I would have never noticed or seen before. A trail just used to be a trail to me, now it is a trail with a purpose, I now want to find out what the purpose is for, instead of just sitting on it for a month thinking a buck may walk by someday!
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:44 pm

I don't know about Bill Vales but agree with what Brad said in his post. I would also throw Gene Wensel's Buckskin and Bone in the mix. It is very informative and covers stuff like how obstacles affect wind, thermals, and how different structure/cover will affect deer movement.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 pm

I have John Eberharts books Precision Bowhunting and Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails. Both are excellent reads and I highly recommend both of them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:41 am

2nd on the Eberhart books. I have been meaning to get his DVDs but I understand they are the same content as the book, although sometimes a video is better than reading for this type of thing.

For big woods stuff the Benoit books are a great read as well.

A bit more obscure book is the series from Dr. Ken Nordberg, a Minnesota native. He hunts up north primarily, so I would pick up his book if that is the type of area you hunt. I can speak for his black bear book, and it is excellent. They can sometimes be out of print but it looks like Amazon has them: http://www.amazon.com/Nordbergs-Whiteta ... 1886422095
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks for the Reminder James, someone else mentioned that Norberg book on here once and I have been meaning to pick it up, sounds like its right up my alley.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:17 am

[quote="headgear"]Thanks for the Reminder James, someone else mentioned that Norberg book on here once and I have been meaning to pick it up, sounds like its right up my alley.[/quot

Here is a link to Dr Ken Nordbergs books.
http://stores.ebay.com/John-and-Beth-No ... 4340.l2568

I personally would recommend getting all the volumes that are available. There will be some redundantcy between volumes, but get them anyways. They are especially appropriate for northwoods hunters. Sign reading, bedding areas, feeding areas, mobile stand hunting... this is the infancy of beast style hunting put into print.
I dont know anything about the buck hunting school dvd's but i imagine it would compliment the book information nicely.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:25 am

James wrote:2nd on the Eberhart books. I have been meaning to get his DVDs but I understand they are the same content as the book, although sometimes a video is better than reading for this type of thing.

For big woods stuff the Benoit books are a great read as well.

A bit more obscure book is the series from Dr. Ken Nordberg, a Minnesota native. He hunts up north primarily, so I would pick up his book if that is the type of area you hunt. I can speak for his black bear book, and it is excellent. They can sometimes be out of print but it looks like Amazon has them: http://www.amazon.com/Nordbergs-Whiteta ... 1886422095

Excellent post, James. I agree with everything you have said. The Eberhart's and a couple of other hunters that have shows on the Outdoor Channel and others, live within 30 miles of me. When they talk about pressure, I can give my assurance that they know what they are talking about... pretty rare to see these days.

I really enjoy the Benoits stuff as well... and Dr. Nordberg's series of books are almost mystical to north woods hunters, love 'em.

I would also recommend to anyone wanting more knowledge on hunting pressured whitetails to use the search function of this site... putting in "dan" as the author and entering whatever topic is applicable (rubs, scrapes, pressure, etc.). I would copy and paste the good stuff and make my own book from one of the most knowledgeable hunters out there regarding pressured whitetails... Dan Infalt. 8-)
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 am

As someone that grew up essentially in a non-deer hunting family, I found Brad Herndon's "Mapping Trophy Bucks" helpful. I would pick up Eberharts' book(s) from half.com for a few dollars. I found both of Eberharts' to be basically the same, but with a few differnent stories inside. I just ordered Bill Vale's book, so we'll see how that one is. I was not a fan of Hal Bloods' book- probably because we don't get to hunt in snow in Oklahoma, much less during gun season where you can track them down and shoot them.

I keep waiting for Mr. Infalt to publish a book ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 am

I buy books/videos from sources where I feel like I can apply what theyre preaching.

One book, is right on the cusp but information in it is great. Some cannot be applied because I dont own land. Thats Don Higgins book.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 pm

evangorp wrote:I was looking at picking up a book to read to help me learn more about hunting deer on pressured public grounds, I was thinking either Bill Vales book or some of the books by John Eberhart. I want something that kind of meshes with some of what is discussed on here. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I have two books I think you would like - PM me and I will send them to you for a few months...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Klemz and James, I got a little confused with the Norberg almanac stuff. Is there one that I should put at the top of my list or is the 9th addition the newest and have most or all the info from the previous almanacs? I was kind of expecting a book and the 9 almanacs kind of threw me a curveball.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 pm

headgear wrote:Klemz and James, I got a little confused with the Norberg almanac stuff. Is there one that I should put at the top of my list or is the 9th addition the newest and have most or all the info from the previous almanacs? I was kind of expecting a book and the 9 almanacs kind of threw me a curveball.

headgear, if you don't mind my interjecting... I believe the 4th almanac is a must have. It contains all of Dr. Nordberg's types of sign interpretation versus age class of the deer- tracks, droppings, beds, rubs, scrapes, etc.

7 - 9 were also very good, IMO

Bridge
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Let me play know it all here...as I have, or have had, every worthwhile whitetail book out there...and have read them multiple times

Best overall- is Vale IMO
Eberharts books and DVDs are great- though redundant..buy the newest book or get the 3 dvd combo from cabelas for $20
Higgins book is great
Nordbergs books(limited supply) and DVDs are full of info...but a dry watch/read
Millers books are good..so are trouts, herndons mapping..., fiduccia, 4 phases of the rut by morris,weiss... and the list goes on..

PM me with questions or specifics and i can give you a lot more feedback
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”