Scent control?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blackwolf
500 Club

Re: Scent control?

Unread postby blackwolf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 am

I guess I take a "middle of the road" approach. I have always tried to shower with unscented soaps before hunting, washed cloths in unscented detergent and hung out in fresh air to dry and store in pine bough bags. I also have taken Nullo (chlorophyll) tablets. I guess I feel nore confident doing this and it doesn't take much time. Does it help, maybe, maybe not but others including myself have thought it may help so I will keep doing it when I can. That being said, the last couple years I have went back to tent camping where only wet wipes used daily clean my body so I am sure my scent is pretty bad after a couple days. My big buck sightings have went up and I have not been spooking them so in my mind where you hunt and how you play the wind is the bottom line for big bucks.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:47 am

I think everyone is on edge because it's been a long off season and everyone is anxious to get back in the woods! I just want to say good luck to all the Beasts out there this season regardless of your scent control beliefs!!! :D
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 am

Carol wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:
BigHunt wrote:...history has taught me to just keep my mouth shut...

:lol: :lol:

BigHunt wrote:...or an old wise woman told me once...

Are you calling Carol an old women? :shock: Your toast! :violence-instagib: :greetings-wavegreen:

:o :shock: :violin: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 am

Don't ask me if it works :) http://www.abscentdesign.com/

kenn1320 wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:
BioActive wrote:
In my area, deer smell humans 24/7/365. There are about 10-12 houses within 100 yards of my property line of my property in Hillsdale county Michigan. If you took a hound to the center of my property he would be able to smell each individual that lives around the property and probably find them with no problem. The deer is sitting out there smelling them all the time.

Scent elimination is impossible but scent reduction is very possible. The question is not, whether you can reduce scent, but how much can you reduce it. My viewpoint is you have to be extreme but you can reduce your scent to the point that deer think you are a lot farther away than you really are. But if a guy is going to just take a regular shower with scent free soap, wear clothes washed in the family washer and dried in the family dryer, he might as well not even consider buying a Scent-Loc suit. It will not be worth the money. There is no single product you can use to reduce human scent enough to be useful. You have to do about 50 things. Once you do those 50 things, it is nothing short of magical what you can get away with.

So now Im curious, since you think deer "think your further away then you really are", do you just sit anywhere on your land and assume the deer think your in one of those back yards? Your the scientist with the big education, so let me ask you something your schooling should be able to answer. If I fart and you only smell half of the air expelled, do you somehow look to point fingers at the guy across the room, or do you know the odor is strong enough to have come from close by, even though you only smelled half of it? My point is even if you have eliminated half of the "scent" coming off you, the rest the deer can smell is strong enough to let them know your close by. Your theory is like saying a deer thinks a kid is further away then a 300lb guy and thats just not possible.

Since the DR is out, maybe bucksnbows or some of the other scent control guys can answer my question? Let me phrase it a different way, how can cadaver dogs find a single finger(they can find much smaller evidence, but lets not blow your mind)? If you were running drugs, whats the safest small amount that the dog would not find, or be fooled into thinking he needs to run 100yds cause the odor is so faint? Guys were talking a wild animal here. He doesnt need to get minutes/seconds of scent on his sensors to know there is a predator in the imediate area. It would take very little of your scent to trigger him of the danger. Lets prettend you got in a bubble, would the deer smell you? Well I have spoken with police dog trainers, and watched demonstrations on it. They explained they have done their best to put drugs inside of different materials, including glass jars and yet the dog still finds it. They said there is so much scent coming off the drugs that just putting it into a container "contaminates" the outside of the container. Now put that container inside another container and the residual from the outside of the first gets onto the new container. Guys have you ever walked into a room and been like CHOCOLATE CAKE! You search and find an empty container where cake was earlier. Our senses are not as good as a deers. Even your dog would fall for the empty container, cause even with his senses he knows he smells food and yet the cake is gone. I believe if you have confidence it can go along way in boosting your success, but lets not spend hard earned money on products that just dont work. Why dont drug runners throw drugs into a scent lok bag, spray it down and transport it without any cares in the world? You can reduce your scent all you want, but it only takes a few "fresh" particles of your scent to identify its fresh and not days old.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 am

The original poster asked the question: Does scent control work? I think his question was answered by both sides and this thread is starting to go nowhere...
Its apparent that a few of the members that do believe in scent control would like to discuss the tactics and products some of the new members are promoting.
My suggestion would be to start a post titled " For scent control freaks and those on the fence only" where you guys can discuss your products, services, and tactics to remain as scent free as possible, free of those of us who don't believe. Just put in the post that you only want to hear from believers...
When you get it posted, if thats your desire, post a link here, and PM the guys you want to make sure don't miss it...
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
jlh, Why don't you use it on your clothes? Just curious

It destroys the elastic in waist bands and such. I shouldnt have said I dont EVER run it on my clothes. I do so very sparingly. For example, if I am in a camp where someone is doing something like smoking a cigar but the clothes themselves are not dirty I will run it, provided they dont have elastic.

That simply is for me and my family. I am an ex smoker and I cannot stand that smell anymore.
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:59 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I think everyone is on edge because it's been a long off season and everyone is anxious to get back in the woods! I just want to say good luck to all the Beasts out there this season regardless of your scent control beliefs!!! :D

I am just tired of being in 130+ degree heat every day...

Matt

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:02 am

Matt3 wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I think everyone is on edge because it's been a long off season and everyone is anxious to get back in the woods! I just want to say good luck to all the Beasts out there this season regardless of your scent control beliefs!!! :D

Matt

Man, I know it!! We need some rain around here bad; it's gonna make it an interesting fall for sure.
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Matt3 wrote:

Matt

Man, I know it!! We need some rain around here bad; it's gonna make it an interesting fall for sure.

Doesn't usually rain here :-)

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Holy Toledo! how did I miss this???? :lol:

Didn't someone think of sending me a PM??? :D

I specialize in the intellectual capacity of PHD's, for crying out loud! It would have made for very interesting conversation, at least. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”