Snow Effect?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

metropig

Snow Effect?

Unread postby metropig » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:25 am

What is everyone's experience with snow affecting thermals? If there are a few inches of snow on the ground does it suppress the thermals rising during the day until it melts or does it not seem to matter?

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Snow Effect?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:44 pm

One morning I was hunting a transition line after a snow fall. To my back was a short pine grove. I was facing a thick red brush tangled mess. The deer would walk the transition between the two. The pine grove was considerably warmer since the snow had not penetrated it's heavy cover. Because of that, there was a constant swirl of thermals at the transition. I had not noticed that effect nearly to that extent before that snowy hunt.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 am

Michael great question. I have been studying the wind a lot more since meeting Dan. Cant wait to hear some answers.

Maybe I will add this as I wait. Get some Milk Weed Seed and check the conditions yourself this upcoming season. Let us know.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:47 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Michael great question. I have been studying the wind a lot more since meeting Dan. Cant wait to hear some answers.

Maybe I will add this as I wait. Get some Milk Weed Seed and check the conditions yourself this upcoming season. Let us know.

I am going to get some milkweeds and I am going to really be studying things closely this season. After watching Dan's videos, reading things people put on this forum and reading a mapping deer book I am really starting to understand a lot of things that I have seen in the woods but didn't quite know why I was seeing it.

By the way thanks Uncle Lou, I just got done covering my lonewolf sticks with stealth strips yesterday!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:54 pm

metropig wrote:What is everyone's experience with snow affecting thermals? If there are a few inches of snow on the ground does it suppress the thermals rising during the day until it melts or does it not seem to matter?

I would think where there are temp changes there are thermals, it likely depends on the highs and lows to tell you how strong a thermal is. If you have a 15-30 degree thermal you are in business, if it is only a 2-4 degree thermal things could be very different.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:14 am

It has to do with ground temperature and air temperature. In order for the thermal current to rise up the hills, the valley floor needs to be warmer (from the sun heating it ) than the air above. Most of the time in winter there is still a thermal up current.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”