Hunting from the ground??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

evangorp
Facebook: evangorp66@hotmail.com

Hunting from the ground??

Unread postby evangorp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:54 am

I know many on here use treestands, my question is, does anyone ever hunt from the ground, and do you go about it differently than hunting in a treestand. Like I have said, this will be my first year out in 6 years on totally new ground, so I am trying to formulate my best game plan. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dreaming bucks

Re: Hunting from the ground??

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 am

I'm thinking of trying it for the first time this year also...... I have a spot that has no good tree's to be up in, they are all real young skinny tree's, but there is a couple nice downed tree tops to hide out in. I might even buy one of those ghille suits to try out.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:24 am

I have hunted from the ground lots! It is a lot of fun and can give you some great shot opportunities. I use ground blinds most of the time, but I have set up in and around thick brush and jack pines. Like anything, use the wind, and use back cover as much or more than front cover and you will do fine.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:58 am

Here is a link where it's been talked about before........ it might help you out a little bit.... Or just use the search button at top, and type in ground hunting for titles and see what you get....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11204&hilit=ground
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:04 am

I love ground hunting, sometimes the only way to go. I have a bow holder that stakes into the ground that i use. Keeps bow in upright position right at fingertips. And i use my small swivel stool. If your not comfortable than you will be fidgeting around.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:45 am

Gonna hunt some hedgerows this year where two of them come together. I'm not sure if its worth putting a stand up in these trees because of the overhanging limbs and short height; I'm thinking about hunting from the ground in these areas. I know it will be tough but it seems to be the best option.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:52 am

I hunt from the ground on really windy/rainy days. Also in cattail marshes that don't have adequate trees, I'll put on my gillie suit. Some of my best and most memorable hunts have been from the ground. I'm going to try doing a lot more of it in upcoming seasons.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:08 am

I have arrowed a few nice bucks (5) from the ground. Visibility is one thing that you don't have like in a tree stand. I have had better luck with natural ground cover, over my double bull. Sometimes you just don't have a tree, the pattern is good and you have to improvise. Your chances are much better up in a tree, trust me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:18 am

Scouting has basically forced me to do more hunting from the ground, a lot of time the best bedding is a long way from any huntable trees. If I want to get after them I have to do it on the ground. I don't have a ton of experience hunting on the ground so I am sure I am sure I will take my lumps but it should be fun.
evangorp

Unread postby evangorp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:14 am

I am going to try to hunt from trees as much as possible, just wanted to make sure that if I feel it is needed to hunt from the ground, I can. I know trees are more forgiving, but there are situations where I feel more comfortable hunting from the ground. Just trying to figure it all out and plan accordingly. So much excellent info on this site, problem is my brain is full and I need to get out hunting and put it all into real life situations , so I understand how it all comes together. You can read and watch all you want, but until it all comes together in the woods, thats when it clicks, at least for me anyway.

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:12 am

Every year I hunt more and more on the ground... I never use a ground blind, I always just use natural foliage to create my "blind". Like someone prior mentioned, have good back cover. I actually shot a mature doe (in my opinion, a very tough critter to harvest) with nothing in front of me, but excellent back cover. She had no idea I was there - just be smart about when you move/draw. I've taken a few bucks from the ground too, it is an amazing rush. This year I've scouted a few more locations that I can only hunt from the ground. I find it to be an advantage on public land becuase a lot of guys are hesitant to hunt from the ground with a bow, and only go in to areas with trees that will support a stand. At least that has been my experience.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 am

I still hunted on the ground exclusively for 2 years. You will spook way more deer then you will sneak up on, I would say 80/20.

I did shoot my first nice buck while still hunting though. 90" 2 year old at 5 yards on the ground. We basically walked into each other. He wound up walking by at 50 yards so I grunted. He came in on a string and I wound up drilling him. Pretty intense and exciting I must say.

Overall, you are much better in a tree.

evangorp

Unread postby evangorp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:25 am

Is it fair to assume that being up in a tree is much more forgiving than hunting on the ground. That is in terms of movement and concealing yourself?

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:32 am

I'm gonna try some pit blinds in some crp fields, hope it rains to soften the ground, I have found big deer will stay away from trees.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:37 am

evangorp wrote:Is it fair to assume that being up in a tree is much more forgiving than hunting on the ground. That is in terms of movement and concealing yourself?

You will get busted a lot more off the ground. Your scent stream, and scent pool will stay at ground level, and you will be at eye level with them... I have killed deer off of the ground, but it ain't easy, especially with mature bucks. I personally will hunt them any way I need to to be successful... The best hunters are versatile.
But given the choice, I will be in a tree if at all possible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”