Hunting from the ground??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRUD
500 Club

Re: Hunting from the ground??

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:23 am

I killed my two biggest ( heaviest) bucks on the ground. Shot one at 20 yards after first missing him at 10 because I hit some brush, the second at 13 yards out of a double bull blind. A few things I have noticed about ground hunting. It's hard to get drawn, I killed the first buck because he was checking out does and was not paying attention. I was standing in a creek and he walked the high bank above me. I had a good breeze taking my "scent away". I missed the first shot but he ran up on a knob and stopped to see what happened. I had ducked in the creek bottom and knocked another arrow. I drew back and slowly stood up until my arrow was just above the creek bank and shot him. The second buck came right in and smelled where I walked and turned to leave when I shot him. Again, I had a good breeze so he didnt smell me just where i walked.

On calm days it would be difficult. With a breeze, and set up close to bedding it can work well.

If you dont want to lug a blind in, seriously consider crossbow if it is legal because it gives you a huge advantage of not having to draw. Most of the does I have shot on the ground without a blind typically spook when I draw but didnt run far enough away or just froze in their tracks. With a crossbow they are shot before they can react. I know a lot of people dislike the crossbow and I don't like hunting with it very much but Indiana legalized it this year for all of archery season. So, if I have a good bedding area with no trees I can sneek in and just sit down and wait without making noise setting up a blind.

I would also add that once November hits and bucks are crusing you can get away with more on the ground. Just be versatile and hunt, use whatever the terrain allows.

evangorp
Facebook: evangorp66@hotmail.com

Unread postby evangorp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:16 pm

I need as much help as possible this year, so I think I will just try to hunt out of a treestand as much as possible. I am not setting the bar too high, I just need to get out and get experience. Need to find out for myself what works and what doesn't, it will all come together.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:25 pm

evangorp wrote:I need as much help as possible this year, so I think I will just try to hunt out of a treestand as much as possible. I am not setting the bar too high, I just need to get out and get experience. Need to find out for myself what works and what doesn't, it will all come together.

You do need to be in the field to get the experience. Don't shoot the first buck that comes by or your learning cycle will take longer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 am

ive been hunting from the ground for many years now. the most important thing is having shooting lanes that give you a quarting away shot. one needs to be used only as a viewing lane to see the deer and give you time to draw. make sure its not a big cleared out lane but just enough to see an approaching deer. another thing i have found to work like magic is sneaky leaf, deer look right through you if your still.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
evangorp
Facebook: evangorp66@hotmail.com

Unread postby evangorp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:12 am

Stanley wrote:
evangorp wrote:I need as much help as possible this year, so I think I will just try to hunt out of a treestand as much as possible. I am not setting the bar too high, I just need to get out and get experience. Need to find out for myself what works and what doesn't, it will all come together.

You do need to be in the field to get the experience. Don't shoot the first buck that comes by or your learning cycle will take longer.

Where I will be hunting is an hour to hour and a half drag to the road. I know there are a lot of 2-3 year old bucks, but not totally surd on the older ones. Been out to scout a couple times and plan on setting up some mock scrapes this weekend. I know it doesn't get much pressure for public land as it is 160 acres off on its own. I am planning on treating it as my own, and will only shoot a buck that I would put on the wall. I may not shoot anything thus year, but I plan on trying yo learn as much as possible.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”