Peak conception?? Does it differ much within a state??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Peak conception?? Does it differ much within a state??

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm

I haven't bow hunted the rut in northern WI since 2003. Where I have hunted in Sw Wi the last 8 ruts Nov.5th seems to be the magical day when the most does are being bred. Now while I'm down there my uncles are having no action in our area of northern wi. Could it maybe be a week later on average there so the fawns will be born a little later?? I have often wondered this so I figured I would open it up for debate

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
G3s
500 Club

Re: Peak conception?? Does it differ much within a state??

Unread postby G3s » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:44 pm

I suppose its possible, but not probable. I think the breeding dates fall very similarly every year and i don't think the climate change within a state would be enough to change the breeding dates. I believe that the estrous cycle has more to do with photoperiodism than it does temperature. Maybe the lack of activity has more to do with a population issue than it does with a breeding cycle issue. Everywhere I have ever hunted has had the "lock down" phase, if there is less deer I suppose you would see less activity than an area with a higher population
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Within a state, probably not much more than a day at best. When I look at PA I can figure on peak conception in any area falling between the 5th and the 12th
bk123

Unread postby bk123 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:20 am

I think it could be different days even in different counties. Within a state it could be as much as a week apart.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:25 pm

bk123 wrote:I think it could be different days even in different counties. Within a state it could be as much as a week apart.

I feel like it varries spot to spot or area to area within a County.

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 am

GRFox wrote:
bk123 wrote:I think it could be different days even in different counties. Within a state it could be as much as a week apart.

I feel like it varries spot to spot or area to area within a County.

Really it varies doe by doe, some come into heat as early as October 15 here in pa and as late as Jan 15. But the majority are bred around the 12th.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 am

Totally agree- especially when there are large events such as weather or gun season.... IE- Here te altitude varies and therefore so does the weather.... Last yr here the moon was super bright the first week of gun which the "lock down" period preceeded by only a couple days....I think that it squished the peak out because daytime movement was so supressed/unfavorable

Also thinking peak is the relative apex of the breeding curve...that doesnt mean there are not other rises or a curve that ramps fast/slow/etc

On a different note Iam thinking te second rut is more pronounced and visible (here in the NE) due to decreased hunting pressure.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”