Weather and Whitetails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Weather and Whitetails

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 am

Walked outside this afternoon , and it was gloomy and drizzly out. Made me think about hunting because that is one of my favorite times to be in the woods. Then I got to thinking about how weather can affect movement. I realized I never really paid serious attention to weather conditions over the years. I just hunt when I am able to. I would assume alot of you guys keep track of that and want to know what weather conditions dictate that you are going hunting no matter what. Before a front? During? after? Any theories you have that a certain weather pattern will get em moving?

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
G3s
500 Club

Re: Weather and Whitetails

Unread postby G3s » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

I hunt regardless of the weather but if given a choice I like to hunt on the frontside of a big low pressure front. I started watching a few years ago because we found the Salmon fishing was really good when the pressure fell below 29.7...it seems to folow suit with deer around here. I see a lot more activity before the front goes through
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm

I like windy days (15-25).
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:35 pm

When a big storm is forecast to hit later that night or the next day, I find a way to be in a tree. Rain or snow.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 am

I can only imagine if you have decent spots around water they will become great spots this year!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:38 am

As far as days to be out there... Just before a front is a great time. If the timing is right and you can get out at prime time in the evening with a front on the way, its great...

As far as other weather relations to hunting deer, all things need to be taken into perspective. I know where Stan is at, he sees better movement in the light wind. Most of the areas I hunt I don't see good movement in wind, but I do use it to my advantage. Certain spots with visibility issues ( the deer could spot you ) you can slip in with the movement of the brush and get close. I have certain bedding areas I wait for windy days to approach..
Wind can also camouflage or cover noise. Wind can also be a friend in areas that have swirling issues when its calmer...
Rain or snow can cover noise, make leaves not so crunchy, and camo noise as well.

Part of the hunting smart theory is to know when to make a move, and when not too...
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:13 am

i also like hunting when a storm is coming, it usually means a steady wind direction without much switching or swirling affect.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:27 am

I like hunting all kinds of weather, except for high heat (due to personal comfort). I think anytime before a front rolls in, is best. Last year the north east got hit with that day time snow storm just before Halloween. I saw deer running all over including some big bucks the morning of that storm. Even had a small bear run past my stand at Mach 2.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:44 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:I like hunting all kinds of weather, except for high heat (due to personal comfort). I think anytime before a front rolls in, is best. Last year the north east got hit with that day time snow storm just before Halloween. I saw deer running all over including some big bucks the morning of that storm.

Same here. I'm not fond of hot weather hunting. As far as the snow, the deer down here seem to like to play in it as much as we do. We don't get alot of it and when it comes, deer can be seen everywhere.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 am

Personally, I like hunting before, during, and after rain. Seems like it really gets the deer moving.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:15 am

I have a spreadsheet that I havent updated in a couple of months but what I noticed was that 8-16 hours prior to the storm they fed heavy and immediately after the storm they fed heavy. Thats nothing that hasnt been written about 1000 times in every magazine or book but what I saw, its definitely not bs.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

One of the best days to hunt IMO is a calm day after a few days of super windy days. The last few bucks I have killed have been first light on a calm day after a day or two of ripping wind. Also if you are hunting late season and have a food sourcre to hunt prior to a snow storm it can be awesome...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”