How to pick the right county to hunt in WI

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DoubleDrop

How to pick the right county to hunt in WI

Unread postby DoubleDrop » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm

We are looking to lease some new hunting land in Central/SW WI and wanted to ask the fellow Beasts what your thoughts are on best counties/areas to hunt around there. Also keeping in mind that we are not looking to break the bank for a premier location. We hunted in Vernon county in the past and it was great but we are looking for a change of scenery. Seeing game is an important factor but what's most important to us is knowing that the area is capable of holding some real nice deer (we try to shoot only 130"+). It would also be important to be within 3.5 hours of Milwaukee. What we are struggling with is being unfamiliar with what other counties offer without physically visiting all the areas and we are hoping we can narrow down our search prior to putting the boot mileage on.

A few areas we were currently considering (but are open to suggestions):
Grant, Iowa, Wood, Adams, Clark

Does anyone know of any good resources to use for area/county selection and how they rank for quantity/quality of deer? What is your personal preference?

I apologize ahead of time if this was covered already but I couldn't find anything. Thanks for all the help!!

Zap

Re: How to pick the right county to hunt in WI

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Follow Dan around.. 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 pm

I think Vernon is better than those on the list.somewhere on here is a link to p&y harvests by county i think.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DoubleDrop

Unread postby DoubleDrop » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Good tip Zap! :D

I will do some checking for the link UP Man, thanks! I appreciate all the fast replies!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11566&p=133894#p133894

there is a map on page 3 of this thread that could help.
Jonesy

Unread postby Jonesy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:51 am

The WI buck & bear club puts out an annual magazine now that breaks down harvest by county and unit. You can order it online or find on magazine rack somewhere. I picked one up at the deer & turkey expo and like it for checking out different areas. Does it matter if county is in CWD zone or not? Some of the counties you have on your list are all in CWD(Iowa)or part in CWD(Grant) and could effect your hunting. For instance, CWD has holiday hunt so could screw up your late season now hunting. There is also a possibility for an October antler less hunt in CWD but there is not one in non-CWD zones. Just things to consider....
But like said above, I think Vernon is better than all counties you listed for quantity and quality. I have never hunted Vernon but it is on my list and from what I have seen and researched, Vernon seems like an awesome place to hunt. Some of the biggest deer
at the expo this year where taken in Vernon!
http://www.wi-buck-bear.org/

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 am

Vernon, Crawford, Iowa, Grant :mrgreen:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35 am

Crawford, Sauk, Dane... Really don't think the county matters as much as the exact property the lease is on though...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”