Antler growth?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Antler growth?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:55 pm

I had someone tell me today that the deer antelrs will not be reaching full potential this year because of the drought. What are your thoughts on this?

Dewey

Re: Antler growth?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm sure that might be the case in areas that are excessively dry with few water sources like bigger rivers or lakes. Most swamps or marshes still have enough water that the deer shouldn't be affected too much. As far as nutrients from food most of the crops were still in pretty good shape during the prime antler development time. From what I have seen shining I would say the bucks look to be doing just fine. Seems like to me the bucks I have been seeing are right on track for this time of the year or maybe even better on average.

What I am worried about most is because of the drought how much quality food will be available for fall when the deer need it the most. If some areas have a rough winter next years antler growth will be impacted for sure.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:10 am

Dewey wrote:I'm sure that might be the case in areas that are excessively dry with few water sources like bigger rivers or lakes. Most swamps or marshes still have enough water that the deer shouldn't be affected too much. As far as nutrients from food most of the crops were still in pretty good shape during the prime antler development time. From what I have seen shining I would say the bucks look to be doing just fine. Seems like to me the bucks I have been seeing are right on track for this time of the year or maybe even better on average.

What I am worried about most is because of the drought how much quality food will be available for fall when the deer need it the most. If some areas have a rough winter next years antler growth will be impacted for sure.

X2

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:14 am

I have not been out to the woods, but I was told that there is no undergrowth living, it's been too dry, & is all dead.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 am

I would doubt that there will be any noticeable difference in antler growth this year. Yes it is dry, but there is plenty of food around with agriculture. Plus, the hot dry conditions have nearly eliminated mosquitoes, flies, ticks, etc. around here, which would greatly reduce a typical summer stress for the deer.
"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 am

jakedeaver wrote:I would doubt that there will be any noticeable difference in antler growth this year. Yes it is dry, but there is plenty of food around with agriculture. Plus, the hot dry conditions have nearly eliminated mosquitoes, flies, ticks, etc. around here, which would greatly reduce a typical summer stress for the deer.

There were plenty of ticks the last time I was in the timber. I do agree on less mosquitoes. I do think in most areas there is enough green food for the deer to eat. It might be a residual effect for the up coming year as some others have mentioned.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 am

1.50 of rain in NE WI since 3pm yesterday!! :dance: Praying for more!! :pray:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 am

My biggest issue is the pastures being dried up. As a result, the cows have completely wiped out any and all cover in the timber. Some of the bucks I have seen seem to be done growing already.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:12 am

Some of the local deer "experts" were estimating something like an extra 10"-12" of antler on most bucks this season due to the mild winter here in Wisconsin, but that was under the assumption we'd have a normal summer with a healthy crop following that mild winter. The deer had no trouble finding food this past winter and stayed healthy throughout. I particularly believe antler growth will not suffer do to this drought we're experiencing, but I wouldn't say it will exceed average growth from recent years, either. I've got bucks from last year showing up on camera that have put a considerable amount of growth on since they dropped in Feb and Mar. Yes, bountiful nutrition consumption is what ultimately grows bigger and stronger racks, but I think we're worrying ourselves too much that we'll have a bunch of spindely racked bucks running around on account of a drought.

Consider Northwood's deer; their nomadic and survive off the lands natural resources, albeit, some travel the highways from backyard feeder to backyard feeder up there, but when it comes to agriculture, you really don't see much further north in Wisconsin past Antigo. Of course the dryness and heat is affecting the natural resources, too, like acorns, but at the end of the day those deer depend on their ability to survive so I'm sure their getting fed, just maybe not in the "usual" places. I'll bet the deer will be on the move quite a bit more than usual this season so maybe sightings will be up and potentially new deer will start showing up on the radar on new properties.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:43 am

When do you guys see antler growth taper off? By me I tend to notice Around the 2nd week of August, growing appears to have stopped completely?

With the drought could it be sooner, than normal years?

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 am

Here in my neck of the woods, I believe they keep growing till almost the end of August, but they slow way done towards the end.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Dewey wrote:I'm sure that might be the case in areas that are excessively dry with few water sources like bigger rivers or lakes. Most swamps or marshes still have enough water that the deer shouldn't be affected too much. As far as nutrients from food most of the crops were still in pretty good shape during the prime antler development time. From what I have seen shining I would say the bucks look to be doing just fine. Seems like to me the bucks I have been seeing are right on track for this time of the year or maybe even better on average.

Same here shining.......I have seen some really good bucks in my hunting areas

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”