The last few days of October

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

The last few days of October

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 am

I have been going through Pope and Young records lately for whitetails in my state and the midwest in general. Oct.25 to Oct.31 is by far the best period for trophy bucks. Adam Hayes swears by the last week of Oct. Who could argue with him?? Why is this period so good for mature deer?? Lets have a discussion and get some tactics and stories going!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dreaming bucks

Re: The last few days of October

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:31 am

That is interesting, but what about the big booners, when are the most of them shot? If I had to guess, I would say towards second week of November in the midwest... does it break it down into booners also, or not?

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 am

dreaming bucks wrote:That is interesting, but what about the big booners, when are the most of them shot? If I had to guess, I would say towards second week of November in the midwest... does it break it down into booners also, or not?

Couple booners but just a pile of 140 to high 150s are shot during this week each season. You're right too that second week of nov. is huge too.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 am

I see great bucks around the 27 th. give or take. But just when it gets good tons of guys start setting stands theto week prior to gear up for the Minnesota firearm. Which usually is right around the 6 th of November. So basicly you loose from about October 31 st and on.
This year the last full good week will run from Oct 20 -26.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:47 am

I think those mature deer are simply moving more and expanding their daily travels. I think that is why you see a spike in kills. Also, the average deer/bowhunter doesn't even start hunting until this time of year. If you add in the increased movement with more guys in the woods that is probably what is going on here.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:48 am

I think it is mostly a numbers thing. This is the time when a majority of the hunters really start to increase their time on the stand. The more hunters out means mature bucks are bound to be killed. I notice around here guys seem to burn out by Nov. 3-4 and I see much less hunting pressure. Everybody really seems to focus right around Halloween.

For me best buck movement is consistently Oct. 31-Nov. 2 every year.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:48 am

I will say that it is one of my favorite weeks to hunt as well. You can just tell a change in the woods.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:21 am

I wish I could provide data off-hand but I'd have to search for it.

Many studies show slowly increasing daytime movements heading into the rut starting in advance (pre-rut) - ie...a chart would look like a stairs or steady upward rise constant up through the breeding in the rut. Now, that does not take into account variables in most cases, such as weather, moon, hunting pressure, etc.

Still, I think this pattern does show to a degree in the real world and it is exploited in late October by those who can...ie the legit hunters/beasts. In other words, the bucks make a small mistake, and the good hunters make a big move to capitalize on it.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
camocat

Unread postby camocat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:46 am

Alot of guys say the last week of october i like nov5th -12th here in cenral wi thats when the big boys drop by me.I read in field and stream the number one day of the year in the midwest is vets day then nov 7th in 2nd place.The 8th thru the tenth then follow for pope and young deer I believe that to be spot on here any ways.I personally just see little guys running around and some 2.5 yr olds and a occasoinal shooter but around the 4th thats when the big guys like to get intersrested.Every year is different though moon phase high pressure weather etc.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am

With a group... we use 30+ trail cameras a year on multiple properties. It is the same throughout WI, around the 15th bucks start actively working scrape circuits.... by Oct 20-22nd we usually catch a few early evening or early AM still walking on camera... by the 25th someone in our group shoots a 4yr+. This has been a pattern now for the past 5yrs.... I think testosterone is starting to peak at this time and bucks are antsy for the 1st piece of :naughty:

The seasonal patterns of when certain bucks show up in certain areas also stays the same :geek:

Just my personal observations... not scientific...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 am

With peak breeding occuring around the 8th-10th of November and what most people would call the "lockdown" I believe you are starting into what other professionals refer to as the "chase" phase.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:29 am

i really like hunting on halloween but its hit or miss. some years its 80+ degrees and other years i will be snowing. all depends on the weather how much daytime activity you'll have.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 am

I love late October. This is my favorite time to hunt primary scrapes. Idealy I'd be sitting over a primary scrape for the first time right after a rain fall in the early evening. I killed this buck on October 30 doing just that. After a morning rain I slipped in my stand after work. Two other 2.5 year old bucks came to the scrape before this buck did. He showed with plenty of daylight but traveled only 80 yards from his bed. I saw him stand up. I think this buck was just 3 years old but he was centium annuli aged at 4.5. I've killed another one on Halloween that just seemed to be in his feet earlier. I also was unknowingly set up close to his bed as well.

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:33 am

I love Halloween and the following 2 weeks. This year I will be taking every thursday and Friday off for about 6 weeks to burn up some vacation starting the week of halloween. I usually would take weeks at a time but find myself getting burned out. Hope breaking it up into those 4 day blocks will keep me focused. Of course my plan is to have it done before that!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:59 am

The last few days in October are when bucks really start moving in the areas I hunt. The bucks are ready to rock and roll and the does are just starting to smell good. I too like this period better than the peak of the rut. I always figure my chances at a good buck are good From October 28th to the 4th of November. I see less bucks this time of year but I see better bucks in general. I have always called this period the flurry, first doe of the the area starts to smell good and gets all the boys riled up and moving. You can still typically pattern older bucks from bed to food/water. After the 5th of November it gets tougher to set up on a certain buck they get interrupted by all the other deer crashing around making noise and movement.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”