The last few days of October

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: The last few days of October

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 pm

GRFox wrote:Great read. A LOT of posts full of great information. After reading this I will definetly focus more on late October, I never heard or even thought of that as a good time to be in the woods until I joined this forum.

Im just wondering how many opportunities I missed by not focusing on that time frame and aiways waiting for the "rut".

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Here in MN, late Oct is the bowhunting rut. :lol:

Gun season starts as early as Nov 2nd some years here. Pre-rut(seeking) can be very strong in Late Oct.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 pm

GRFox wrote:Great read. A LOT of posts full of great information. After reading this I will definetly focus more on late October, I never heard or even thought of that as a good time to be in the woods until I joined this forum.

Im just wondering how many opportunities I missed by not focusing on that time frame and aiways waiting for the "rut".

Gun season starts as early as Nov 2nd some years here. Pre-rut(seeking) can be very strong in Late Oct.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Dor wrote:Of the Big Bucks I have killed or screwed up on in MN- almost all of them occurred from 10-22 to 11-2.
I like hearing this.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Dor wrote:

Gun season starts as early as Nov 2nd some years here.
Lmao!! 10-4 that one Dor!!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:52 am

You guys probably thought I was crazy when I told you I was going to OH the last Sunday in Oct till the first Sat in Nov... :lol: :idea:
wibowhunt4me

Unread postby wibowhunt4me » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Those last few days of October can be very magical. It was a Halloween weekend when I saw my first sign of rutting activity ever. I had one doe walk into the funnel area I was hunting. Realizing the trail I was over was not the trail she was traveling I picked out the tree I should have set up in. So when I turned back to finder her there was not 1 buck but 5 bucks slowly following her every step. As I watched the parade of animals I had 2 more bucks come from behind to get a whiff of that powerful perfume she was putting out. After she took her entourage with her out of sight I had 3 more bucks come in following her trail about 20 min later. It was one of the coolest things I had ever seen and only got better the next day when they started chasing her. I called my Dad in Arkansa and told him thanks for taking me hunting. You can't beat mother nature when she decides to put on a show. This was all on public land that people said there was no deer there. LOL
aspire to inspire before you expire
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Great story wibowhunt4me!! I love hearing those!!!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:18 pm

The thing that I like about late Oct is finally mornings seem to be better than evenings for big bucks and I love hunting mornings with great shooting light as opposed to fading evening light.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

blackwolf wrote:The thing that I like about late Oct is finally mornings seem to be better than evenings for big bucks and I love hunting mornings with great shooting light as opposed to fading evening light.

Agreed!! Big bucks tend to slip up and get back to bed a few minutes later. Plus if you're having action, you don't have to worry about shooting hours. If you hit one, you got all day to track in daylight!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
blackwolf wrote:The thing that I like about late Oct is finally mornings seem to be better than evenings for big bucks and I love hunting mornings with great shooting light as opposed to fading evening light.

Agreed!! Big bucks tend to slip up and get back to bed a few minutes later. Plus if you're having action, you don't have to worry about shooting hours. If you hit one, you got all day to track in daylight!

Yep.

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 am

Yeap I would agree with you guys about the last days of October it's my favorite time of year to hunt. I've seen more bigger bucks in MN leading up to the gun season than any other time frame except for late season. I see more scrapes and rub popping up all the time and I think it's because the bucks are getting restless.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”