Where bucks are

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Where bucks are

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 am

I don't have to see a big buck on a property to want to hunt it... The property needs to have good mature buck bedding features ( cattails, swamps, remote areas, points on ridges, etc )
It also needs areas that are not being pressured. If hunters are getting everywhere, I pack up and go to a different property.
I will say this, I have heard plenty of people in my area say there are no big bucks living in some of the areas where I hunt and kill them... But, that don't stop me from seeing them.

One word of advice. Think outside the box and look for areas where no one goes rather than the obvious spots...

FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am

dan wrote:I don't have to see a big buck on a property to want to hunt it... The property needs to have good mature buck bedding features ( cattails, swamps, remote areas, points on ridges, etc )
It also needs areas that are not being pressured. If hunters are getting everywhere, I pack up and go to a different property.
I will say this, I have heard plenty of people in my area say there are no big bucks living in some of the areas where I hunt and kill them... But, that don't stop me from seeing them.

One word of advice. Think outside the box and look for areas where no one goes rather than the obvious spots...

I've heard that plenty around me. And I used to believe them until I started using cams and really started bow hunting hard. Got my first cam in 05 and was blown away by some of the deer that were around that I had never seen before.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Even if hunting season comes around and I havnt seen a mature buck on the property I still go out and hunt it. Its not gonna be first on my list But I will try and hunt it a couple sits atleast just to see whats goin on on the property. Like Dan said its really based on alot of factors. If the right bedding and food are there for a mature buck its worth giving it a shot.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:47 pm

jlh42581 wrote:Where I call home, if you harvest a buck that makes P&Y everyone in the county probably knows you did. Thats how many people hunt. I live in a short drive of no less than 6 archery/gun shops. So understand that statistically and historically you wont find a booner here very often.

What was mentioned was that one cam is really not enough. In my scrape thread I showed first hand by mistake how this can throw you a curve ball. Cam 1 set near the old logging road picked up very few deer. Cam two, 50 yards down over the side hill picked up multiple bucks. Had I only had cam 1 out at the time I wouldve never known what was lurking below.

Currently I am running two cams in a swamp area. One cam on a finger between the creek and swamp, the other cam, upstream and opposite side of the creek in a small island of highly productive oaks surrounded by security cover. Will I see the same deer on both cams? Maybe, Im going to guess that likely I wont.

Interesting post jlh42581 (how do you pronounce your name by the way :D ). Do you use minerals or some sort of attractant to inventory? I'm using minerals in a high traffic area. I would think that would lure in all of the deer in a certain area over a month period. Am I wrong in that assumption?
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:56 pm

dan wrote:I don't have to see a big buck on a property to want to hunt it... The property needs to have good mature buck bedding features ( cattails, swamps, remote areas, points on ridges, etc )
[glow=red]It also needs areas that are not being pressured. If hunters are getting everywhere, I pack up and go to a different property.[/glow]

Solid. I can think of a couple areas to check out based on this advice that I haven't yet on my new property.

I'm tryin', I'm tryin'....
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 am

BuckHunter1988 wrote:Even if hunting season comes around and I havnt seen a mature buck on the property [glow=red]I still go out and hunt it[/glow]. Its not gonna be first on my list But I will try and hunt it a couple sits atleast just to see whats goin on on the property. Like Dan said its really based on alot of factors. If the right bedding and food are there for a mature buck its worth giving it a shot.

Normally I would too, but this year my time is super limited. I want to see some evidence that a big boy is living there and where he's living (talking outside the rut). So far I haven't spotted any big bucks, seen big tracks or beds, or gotten pictures of big bucks. Yet, it seems like they SHOULD be there. I'm still looking. Thanks to all of you for your replies!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:05 am

NatureBoy wrote:Interesting post jlh42581 (how do you pronounce your name by the way :D ). Do you use minerals or some sort of attractant to inventory? I'm using minerals in a high traffic area. I would think that would lure in all of the deer in a certain area over a month period. Am I wrong in that assumption?

I pronounce my name... Jeremy lol! Jlh - my initials, 42581 - my birthday.

I use minerals sometimes, not always. You would be surprised just how exposing fresh dirt will attract deer. Stumbled on this one time when I took a cam super remote and forgot any bait. Kicked open a big area of leaves and every deer to come through the area stuck their nose in it.

When it comes to licks, it has to be in an area that deer travel anyhow. I see people say deercain sucks, well my experience with it was both times I have put it out they dug a 6ftx6ftx10" deep hole getting at it. My guess, they put it at random hoping to draw deer. It doesnt work like that. I put minerals where they are already traveling anyhow.

We all know bucks and doe's travel different areas. I have also read that bucks will not compete with fawning doe's for minerals and sometimes running minerals in one area while running bait in another will produce completely different deer on cam in the same area.

If youre on a trail with a cam and miss another trail in the detection zone thats not obvious then deer will walk right past the cam and you wont know it. Try this sometime. Put two cams out on the same tree. One facing north, one facing south.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 am

Thanks for the tips Jeremy!
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am

NB, first off take a deep breath and relax....we all hunt for enjoyment, not going hungry if we dont shoot a big buck.

There is some good advice here, from some very successful hunters, but recognize each one has a different approach on what they do, and things can be learned from each method. Couple of thoughts.

Hunting pressure....observe what the other hunters are doing, access points, entrance/exit, the bucks your after are very good at eluding danger, look for what other people are doing and think how the buck will react.

Do you have to have visual confirmation that a buck exists? Pictures? Is that what is needed to be confident where your hunting? No, as stated if the bedding cover is there, so will the buck be there. Look for the places that nobody wants to hunt, to hard to reach, to thick, to wet, thats where you want to be.

As talked about many times here, most bucks are killed the first time you hunt a spot. Watch, observe, think about the right conditions, when the time is right, hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Lots of good info here!
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:31 am

Tadmdad wrote:NB, first off take a deep breath and relax....we all hunt for enjoyment, not going hungry if we dont shoot a big buck.

I sense that you sense desperation in my tone :lol:. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and tips Tad! Good stuff, right on the money.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 am

Tadmdad wrote:NB, first off take a deep breath and relax....we all hunt for enjoyment, not going hungry if we dont shoot a big buck.

There is some good advice here, from some very successful hunters, but recognize each one has a different approach on what they do, and things can be learned from each method. Couple of thoughts.

Hunting pressure....observe what the other hunters are doing, access points, entrance/exit, the bucks your after are very good at eluding danger, look for what other people are doing and think how the buck will react.

Do you have to have visual confirmation that a buck exists? Pictures? Is that what is needed to be confident where your hunting? No, as stated if the bedding cover is there, so will the buck be there. Look for the places that nobody wants to hunt, to hard to reach, to thick, to wet, thats where you want to be.

As talked about many times here, most bucks are killed the first time you hunt a spot. Watch, observe, think about the right conditions, when the time is right, hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Great post Tad 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 am

Good post Tad, I would also add you need patience. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't learn how to kill big bucks in a year. It takes years of huntings, scouting, learning and that all important experience factor to be able to get on big bucks consistantly. Over time things start to click and you have encounters and kills that let you know you are on the right path.

I am no where near a big buck serial killer status, however I feel I am on my way there and the next 10 years are going to be fun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”