Wind & Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Wind & Bedding

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:09 pm

dan wrote:
In Michigan where I hunt, if OUTSIDE of the rut I don't see mature deer travel with the wind at their back that often.

Ridge runner, I am curious if its possible that you see more deer come in with the wind quartering towards them because thats the way you set up for them? The same as a guy who always sets up with the wind in his face facing a bedding area will see most of his bucks with wind to back?

Good point Dan. I went back thru my logs and I have seen some wind to back movement and a little more than I thought.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am

BUMP
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 am

This is an excellent thread!

So in an unpressured wooded flatland situation where a buck is bedded on the edge of a thicket, if there is a day where the wind is blowing towards the thicket preventing him from smelling from the thicket behind him, would that buck choose an alternate bedding location?
Make It Happen
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:11 am

Swampbuck wrote:This is an excellent thread!

So in an unpressured wooded flatland situation where a buck is bedded on the edge of a thicket, if there is a day where the wind is blowing towards the thicket preventing him from smelling from the thicket behind him, would that buck choose an alternate bedding location?

Correct... They don't always follow the rules, but the majority of the time he would choose an alternate.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”