When do you do your doe killin?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: When do you do your doe killin?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 am

If I want to shoot a doe, or need to shoot a doe, I do it while buck hunting. Its pretty rare I go "doe hunting"
The buck bedding areas I hunt are only hunted 1 to 4 times a year, and 4 is pretty rare. Most only get hunted once in a season, even more never get hunted at all... If I ain't coming back, there is no reason not to shoot a doe if I want or need to shoot a doe (EAB)
Obviously I ain't shooting a doe when its dead calm and I am within 50 yards on a possible bedded buck, but a little woods noise, and a little farther back, and yea, I will shoot one if the population can handle it and I want or need one.
I don't retrieve them till after the hunt and I personally don't think it spooks the bucks till you retrieve the doe.
I remember shooting one many years ago and having several young bucks walk over to it and smell it and just feed on by. For me, the season ends to quickly to be wasting days with a buck tag in my pocket chasing does.

moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Whenever I want to pretty much.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wibowhunt4me

Unread postby wibowhunt4me » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:43 pm

We as a group try to shoot does in the morning during early season and hunt the bucks in the evenings. We will shoot does year round. There are plenty of them around. If I personally shoot one opening week I know I will have fresh venison sausage to share with the boys for the gun hunting season. Most of the guys do try to wait til the weather gets cooler so they dont have to rush home and get it cleaned up. We have plenty of opportuntites to put meat in the freezer if that is what a person wants. I try to save them for the kids. Not saying they are easier to kill but it helps them get a deer or two under their belts.
aspire to inspire before you expire
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:05 am

I'm in a high dpsm area, in fact, one of the highest in my state. Although my land access is not great quality for mature bucks, there are a ton of does. In past year, I would slay them, big time. Me an dmy family could go through two in a given year, but sometimes I would take a couple for two elderly families that were told to shy away from red meat (beef) for health concerns - which they greatly appreciated. Now that they've since moved on, this year, I'm seriously considering not targeting a doe until later in regular firearms season or late mz season. No more plugging does during early archery for me unless I feel the need for me personally. I usually lose a half day of hunting each time to retrieve, process, wrap, etc. and drop off. No more of that 4-5 does a season for me.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:51 pm

If I am looking to shoot a doe for the freezer I will hunt field edges in early season. I am still hoping to catch a mature buck on his feet, but will shoot the first doe that presents a good shot.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Usually in Mid Oct when we hit a bit of a lull around here
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:32 pm

When its fairly cool, I am not far from where I can drive to and a doe walks past really close. 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:24 pm

anytime of the season if meat is needed but I usually shoot a couple in are early doe season and call it done for the season.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm

I plan on putting up more meat than usual, the drought will have meat prices going up.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 am

I process my own meat and don't want to get bogged down with processing a doe early on. I want to be out there hunting bucks. Still, if things are slow early on, I will shoot a doe, just to vent some frustration and put meat in the freezer.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
jon

Unread postby jon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:43 am

I'll shootem early and late season. I never shootem during rut.. They eat good!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 am

I kill a 1-2 does each year. I try not to screw up my good rut locations. But with three little kids at home, I pretty much have to capitalize when I can and when I have time to process the meat.
"In the deed, the glory"
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 am

Bought myself one of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtrem ... r/14574678

Huge would be an understatement. When full I cant pick it up alone. Bought it for camping and also to double as a meat locker on trips. Freeze bottles of water and throw them in. Fits perfectly in my hatch or on my extended hitch. Quarter one up to bring it out easy and strait to the cooler. No need to worry about heat.

Will hold ice for almost 5 days.

To give you an idea how big it is, we used it for my sons party this past weekend. With food it needed 10 bags of ice to fill it.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:21 am

I wish I had the opportunity to shoot a doe anytime I want. Hardly ever do we get more then one tag where I hunt. When we do get more then one tag I'm doing It early as possible. I also won't do It In the thick of the woods. I don't want to bug up the good area's. Instead I'll sit on a field edge and stick one there.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 am

jlh42581 wrote:Bought myself one of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtrem ... r/14574678

Huge would be an understatement. When full I cant pick it up alone. Bought it for camping and also to double as a meat locker on trips. Freeze bottles of water and throw them in. Fits perfectly in my hatch or on my extended hitch. Quarter one up to bring it out easy and strait to the cooler. No need to worry about heat.

Will hold ice for almost 5 days.

To give you an idea how big it is, we used it for my sons party this past weekend. With food it needed 10 bags of ice to fill it.

I bought one of those last year and it almost fills the back seat of my Honda Civic door to door. Almost held a boned out cow elk, but I left space for ice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”