Ok how do you hunt morning stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Ok how do you hunt morning stands

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 am

Sweet Shot 7 wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:
dan wrote:
Dan, does this mean they approch the down wind side of the bed and then circle to the upwind side and enter?

No... When they come from the direction the wind is blowing from they seem to come straight in..

You showed that in Hill Country. It creates a scent stream of wind borne scent and ground scent over the same area giving a predator only one way to cut a track/wind scent rather than two.

Im pretty sure in the Hill Country dvd demonstration that the the wind was blowing from the hill to the valley and the deer came up the hill into the wind and turned and bedded and watched its backtrail.

You are correct, but the same would have to apply if the food source was on the top of the hill.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:40 am

dan wrote:I would also like to stress, if your hunting area is small, don't think you have to be out there in the mornings outside the rut... A lot of guys think they are not hard core if there not out there in thLe mornings, but you might just be damaging your hunting. Its better to hunt smart, than to hunt a lot.

So true. I learned this the hard way, wish I could get back all those missed hours of sleep, spent chasing deer off the property in the AM.... I use to think the harder and more hours I hunt the better, now I think about how I can hunt smarter.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:
dan wrote:I would also like to stress, if your hunting area is small, don't think you have to be out there in the mornings outside the rut... A lot of guys think they are not hard core if there not out there in thLe mornings, but you might just be damaging your hunting. Its better to hunt smart, than to hunt a lot.

So true. I learned this the hard way, wish I could get back all those missed hours of sleep, spent chasing deer off the property in the AM.... I use to think the harder and more hours I hunt the better, now I think about how I can hunt smarter.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That is how I have been feeling, like i was wasting valuable hunting time by not going but my evening sits have all been well thought out attacks. I think that statement really puts it into perspective. I think my new technique is going to be hunt the mornings in the rut, and if there is a moon day that I can make work. If not, I will wake up at 7 or 8 and go squirrel hunting on a different property and have some fun doing that.
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:That is how I have been feeling, like i was wasting valuable hunting time by not going but my evening sits have all been well thought out attacks. I think that statement really puts it into perspective. I think my new technique is going to be hunt the mornings in the rut, and if there is a moon day that I can make work. If not, I will wake up at 7 or 8 and go squirrel hunting on a different property and have some fun doing that.

Well you know, that is a guaranteed way to have a mature buck downwind and in range... plan it all out and go squirrel hunting. :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 pm

I agree I used to hunt every morning I could. Never saw a mature buck! Never! Now I get up grab my shotgun and walk. When I find hotsign I hunt it that evening, wind permitting. Come Oct 25 I don't miss any more mornings though!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:15 am

rochester coops wrote:

Well you know, that is a guaranteed way to have a mature buck downwind and in range... plan it all out and go squirrel hunting. :lol:

Aint that the truth. Saw one of the biggest bucks ever squirrel hunting, which is what made me start archery. No one in my family was an archer. I was sitting on a log in a pine thicket and had this absolute GIANT choc horned 8pt with a ton of mass walk within 5 ft of me. 5ft, no joke and stare at me for 3 mins then just continue on. One of the coolest hunting experiences I ever had. Thought he might attack.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I agree I used to hunt every morning I could. Never saw a mature buck! Never! Now I get up grab my shotgun and walk. When I find hotsign I hunt it that evening, wind permitting. Come Oct 25 I don't miss any more mornings though!!

There is a real good point to Daves statement... I think your time is much better spent in the morning scouting for fresh sign to hunt in the evening.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:45 am

dan wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I agree I used to hunt every morning I could. Never saw a mature buck! Never! Now I get up grab my shotgun and walk. When I find hotsign I hunt it that evening, wind permitting. Come Oct 25 I don't miss any more mornings though!!

There is a real good point to Daves statement... I think your time is much better spent in the morning scouting for fresh sign to hunt in the evening.

Thanks Dan 8-) I wish I could have a fraction of the time spent back that I wasted in unproductive stands because I just had to be in a stand :oops: Scout Scout Hunt :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”