The back way into a spot.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

The back way into a spot.

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 am

Its become apparent to me that on pressured land alot of the buck bedding is situated to moniter the normal access point. Either by scent, sight or sound.

I have been looking at the areas that I want to hunt early in the season and looking for the back way in.
It looks like a stealthy water approach either by wading or watercraft will usually take the "long way" around out of the equation and will give you access from a point the deer do not expect anyone to come from.
I am sure that there are other options also.

Please post your thoughts on this subject.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: The back way into a spot.

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 am

I have stated many times the approach to the set up is a huge part of the equation. Anytime you can put some stealth in your approach you have upped your odds. I like your idea of backdooring them, it will work.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:52 am

I know of a spot on public where this buck beds no joke 75 yards from the parking lot on a south wind. Soon as you stop he is gone.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 am

Come on, folks.....no one else has anything?
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 am

most of my back door spots are morning spots. i come thru open woods into the bedding area in the morning trying to catch them coming from ag fields. my evening spots i am more concered about getting out without getting busted. all great morning spots must have backdoor acess.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 am

jlh42581 wrote:I know of a spot on public where this buck beds no joke 75 yards from the parking lot on a south wind. Soon as you stop he is gone.

Time to have a friend drop you off down the road aways where he can't see, jut in and get behind where he isn't looking. That sounds like a 1 hour plus setup. He probably selected that bed specifically to watch that parking lot. Smart deer. Reminds me of that story where Dan crawled on Thanksgiving across a feild. Was that the 400 Slob buck? Sitting in a bed to watch everything.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:33 am

15 years ago I had a permanent stand that I hunted. It was along a feild edge and I walked a little ways away from it to get to it. Where I knew some bedding was I had no worry of jumping deer, i thought. Well one late morning I went out for a rest of the day sit. At the farthest corner of the tilled field saw some pheasants land down there. I had my bird bit with me(i always do) and since I had more than enought time decided to take the extremely long, looping way around to my stand and see if I could snag a pheasant first, it was cold enough. This is a pretty big property so it was a hike.

Well I didn't get a pheasant but I did see about twice the amount of deer I normally would. At least twice. I wondered if it was a fluke because I walked all the way around or not. Next time I didn't and the numbers dropped, The following after that, I made the big loop again out of sight of the woods, 300yds away at least. No chance of hearing me and little threat if seen. Bam, deer all over. They knew about where I would be if I was coming through and positioned themselves bedding wise to know. The does that is. The trip after that, I looped around around noon and one of their nephews came out to his stand around 2pm. His was in the front of the property. It was a line of deer that flew to the back past me. I had no idea he was coming out but by the deer parade I assumed he was here. His stand was barely in the woods, right on the front edge.

That changed how I hunted for a number of years till I got lazy without realizing it. My eyes opened recently, thankfully. Back dooring them is something they aren't used to, I am a believer.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am

Great minds think alike..... 8-)
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 am

I regularly climb vertical stuff to access areas. It makes a big difference in the morning especially.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am

Dor wrote:I regularly climb vertical stuff to access areas. It makes a big difference in the morning especially.

:shock:

You young guys get to have all the fun. :mrgreen:
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 pm

I have a property that is divided by a small river. For years when I was going to hunt on the east side of the river I would drive a lane on that side and walk the remaining half mile. The forest was made up of hardwoods, it was difficult to walk in quietly. The bedding and buck sign was there but I only saw a few does. A few years ago I started using a boat to cross the river. After crossing the river I only need to walk 50 yards, my entry is totally silent and unseen. I hunt that spot 2 or 3 times per season and I usually see a good buck. Approach is everything.
fredhill

Unread postby fredhill » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

i gravitate to areas i can access by boat or waders. recently here in MO, Ducks Unlimited and MDC bought some new ground for wetland restoration. i called the agents in the counties the property was in and asked about bowhunting it. the agent said to me "there's hardly any trees on that ground, why would you want to hunt there?". then he started giving me directions to other CA's that were more wooded because it was "better for hanging treestands". water access rules!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:05 pm

I used to have a spot on a property i was able to hunt that always produced, the deer always came through it in the mornings and were totally relaxed. It wasn't until years later that I figured out why it was so good, and thats when I realized it was because it was a 50 yard walk and 25 yards were in spots that deer expected human scent to be, so I was leaving hardly any ground scent for them to get me on, AND most of that was on boulders that were hard for the deer to walk on anyways, so in reality there was maybe a 10 yard trail of scent to the tree. That was and still is to this day, the only morning spot I have ever hunted that was worth a darn. As of now I do not have a single morning spot.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:08 pm

This is something that I really had to rethink in the off-season. Spent alot of time looking at maps to figure out better ways to get where I need to go. Hopefully I came up with some better access routes. Not going to be easier by any means, but I really need to go the long way at times!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Kodiakman wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:I know of a spot on public where this buck beds no joke 75 yards from the parking lot on a south wind. Soon as you stop he is gone.

Time to have a friend drop you off down the road aways where he can't see, jut in and get behind where he isn't looking. That sounds like a 1 hour plus setup. He probably selected that bed specifically to watch that parking lot. Smart deer. Reminds me of that story where Dan crawled on Thanksgiving across a feild. Was that the 400 Slob buck? Sitting in a bed to watch everything.

Problem is, this public is quite well known now. I could put all that effort in and someone else could come whipping in after work and blow it. When he bails he heads into an almost impenetrable thicket. If he has no pressure, he heads east before heading south into an apple orchard. Hes not a giant either by any means.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”