The back way into a spot.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: The back way into a spot.

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:11 am

Excellent food for thought. Good post!

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:20 am

Over half my setups require some kind of back way to access them either canoe, making a large loop or crossing some nastyness that no one else would go through. Come to think of it most of my good public land bucks have been shot when taking these alternate routes, that alone should tell you how important they are.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:43 am

I came across a big fresh bed one time that was in a funnel of timber about 70yds wide with big woods to the North and South. Crop field to the east and horse pasture to the west. I stood by the bed and looked toward the road and you could see my truck plain as day lol.. Once he see's ya park he prolly gets up and goes onto the horse farm! I will be back dooring him this year haha..
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:24 am

Brad Lamont wrote:I used to have a spot on a property i was able to hunt that always produced, the deer always came through it in the mornings and were totally relaxed. It wasn't until years later that I figured out why it was so good, and thats when I realized it was because it was a 50 yard walk and 25 yards were in spots that deer expected human scent to be, so I was leaving hardly any ground scent for them to get me on, [glow=red]AND most of that was on boulders that were hard for the deer to walk on anyways[/glow], so in reality there was maybe a 10 yard trail of scent to the tree. That was and still is to this day, the only morning spot I have ever hunted that was worth a darn. As of now I do not have a single morning spot.

Good point about a rocky area - I live in the Granite State, so I can attest deer do not like rocks...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:32 pm

I have just figured out a way into one of my good spots, from looking at maps i found a creek that starts by the road and runs through the property. I'll be sneaking up the creek on a good wind and be set up good!
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote]i gravitate to areas i can access by boat or waders. [quote]

I agree with this, several of my favorite stand sites relate to water. 2 are crossing beaver dams, 1 access is using a creek to wade through. All three are backdoor access, and stands are only a few yards from water, very unlikely for a deer to be aware of your presence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”