Interesting Bedding Topic

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Interesting Bedding Topic

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 am

I have been watching and reading a bedding topic on another forum, that the "educated experts" seem to control.

Regardless of how a question is posed, the poster seems to get shut down really fast if he/she tends to question the authority of the local experts.... So with that being said, I would like to pose some questions on here that were posed on that site and see how you guys answer.

Now, naturally I am not going to post the other forum, and like I mentioned a couple weeks ago....I found this site and found my new home. I honestly like the members I have had the privledge in talking with, and by no means am I trying to stir any pot elsewhere...but would like to read your thoughts:
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you think bedding habits from a buck and doe differ?
For example from Feb 1st-Sept 1st , 1000's acres of open hardwoods, hilly terrain.

In this same habitat example, when a deer beds, do they bed with any advantage of their bedding choice (such as per wind direction or visual advantage), or do they randomally just lay down when they get tired?

In this same scenario, rolling open hilly hardwoods, much like the paper companies own in Middle-West Tn...does a deer tend to bed according to terrain?

Thanks

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Interesting Bedding Topic

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53 am

I don't believe there is anything random about where any deer beds. Their life depends on the choice of the bed. doe and bucks differ slightly in what factors determine where they will bed, and mature bucks are different yet. There will be a factor such as smell, sight, or hearing, as well as comfort such as shade, sun, food source etc. and/or a combination of these that all play into where a deer chooses to bed.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:38 am

A term/word from Hal Bloods book is that Mature Bucks are "Nomads" kind of sums it up.
The dominant deer will likely have the best spots for bedding and usually away from the other deer crowd.
Grumpy old men!

So yes this is a difference in bedding except during rut where they may lose the head (literaly) for some whitetail ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am

A portion of your timeframe is during fawning and does get the best cover at that time.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks Guys...

I too believe that bucks bedding habits differs from does. I also realize it may differ from the time of the year.

I have just been reading thoughts where some hunters think the deer roam randomly and bed whenever, where ever they like.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”