Retro-active Beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Retro-active Beast

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:10 am

The other day I was thinking about all of the knowledge & info I've learned since I've watched Dan's videos and joined the beast. The most major piece of information is when we talk about hunting bucks where they spend 95% of their daylight time: BUCK BEDS!!!

As I've learned about where big bucks like to bed, it's been exciting going out and searching for these depressions in the ground that hold the key to my success. I also think it is fascinating that by shining a buck right after dark, or catching a buck on his feet in the morning, you can begin to pinpoint where his bed is likely located.

Taking all of this new-found knowledge, I started thinking about all of the mature buck sightings I have had over the years when I was just randomly hunting buck sign and trails. I really started to get excited thinking about some of these sightings because even though they happened years ago, I bet the area the buck was coming from is still a good bedding area. I'm making a mental list of all of the potential bedding areas that I can investigate this fall with a stand on my back.

It's really neat looking back on old experiences with fresh knowledge and hopefully using those experiences to help me tag a buck this fall. 8-)

backstraps

Re: Retro-active Beast

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:33 am

Thats a neat post. I was thinking of a farm buck the other day that gave me the slip the entire two years I hunted that farm. Wish I still had that property to hunt .... but thrn again I am still learning and have years of mistakes to still yet go :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:14 am

xpauliber wrote:The most major piece of information is when we talk about hunting bucks where they spend 95% of their daylight time: BUCK BEDS!!!

Right On! Simple concept,...... dificult task.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 am

xpauliber wrote:The other day I was thinking about all of the knowledge & info I've learned since I've watched Dan's videos and joined the beast. The most major piece of information is when we talk about hunting bucks where they spend 95% of their daylight time: BUCK BEDS!!!

As I've learned about where big bucks like to bed, it's been exciting going out and searching for these depressions in the ground that hold the key to my success. I also think it is fascinating that by shining a buck right after dark, or catching a buck on his feet in the morning, you can begin to pinpoint where his bed is likely located.

Taking all of this new-found knowledge, I started thinking about all of the mature buck sightings I have had over the years when I was just randomly hunting buck sign and trails. I really started to get excited thinking about some of these sightings because even though they happened years ago, I bet the area the buck was coming from is still a good bedding area. I'm making a mental list of all of the potential bedding areas that I can investigate this fall with a stand on my back.

It's really neat looking back on old experiences with fresh knowledge and hopefully using those experiences to help me tag a buck this fall. 8-)

Big piece of the puzzle for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 pm

I am definitely learning a ton from this site and very excited about this season.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:33 pm

I've also found myself going back and trying to figure out bucks that I've seen over the years. I know of a couple that I was probably set up on in close proximity of their bedding area and didn't even realize it.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:48 am

great post... I used to think the deer were more random....didnt quite grasp the concept the buck may have a few primary beds depending on wind/pressure or the like...the site has truly opened my eyes to all that I am experiencing now. good stuff!
go DEEP or go HOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”