What Should we be doing this time of year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:05 am

Most of us are anticipating the upcoming season. Many of us have already selected what states or areas we will hunt.

So before it begins what should we be doing right now, to prepare for the hunt.

I am doing some drive bys of some areas and also kinda keeping tabs on my ogre swamp out back. One of these days I should get a camera.

I am also going through some equipment. Which seems never ending. I am making a new ground blind for Ellie and I am going to stealth out a couple ladder stands that some co hunters have left out at a spot.

What say you, what are you doing to prepare, or what should you be doing if you had the time?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
G3s
500 Club

Re: What Should we be doing this time of year

Unread postby G3s » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:19 am

I have to get up north and clear the trees that came down this winter on our path in to camp, I have cameras running and we have been glassing a bunch trying to locate certain bucks. Shooting my bow a bunch, I need to check my stands and straps to make sure all are in good shape...other than that I am ready to go
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:42 am

When I get 30min or so of free time Im out in the yard shooting my bow. If I get time before dark, Ill take the kids for a drive, but just locally (not where I can hunt). When I get 4+hrs I get out the boots and go walking/scouting. If Im stuck at home, I get on the aerial maps and try to plan stragies based on what I saw the deer doing previous years. Im trying to figure out why they are doing what they do(terrain traps). I drove around my one farm this year and noted what was planted in what fields, and not just the land I can hunt, but all farmable fields in the section. I will add to that next time by whats in the fields that adjoin that section. Ive been busy on craigs list looking at zodiacs. :lol: Ive been on the net trying to find an area that I could use one, but havent found anything. I think with the boating deal, you almost need to have a boat and hit the water to find locations. Lou showed a great 3-4 tree island in some cattails that on an aerial might not have showed up well. Im also reading Bill Vales book right now. Ive also been thinking about picking up another stand, something I would hang on my out of state hunt on a hot pinch point/funnel and leave till I was headed home. I currently only have 1 good stand and put it up and take it down every day, as I cant be certain on wind direction the next day. Seems it would be easier to take a quick walk, set some stands and then hunt them as wind/weather indicated. Im looking at the Millenium stands. Ive also been doing some work at my neighbors. Ive worked on the foodplot, put in some licking branches and a rub pole, made a few more beds and built 2 wooden ladder stands.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:26 am

I try to refrain from telling people what to do... ;)

But this is what I am trying to do...

Shine
glass
scout topo's and aerials
and walk some feeding areas looking for sign...

Its a little early to be patterning deer. But it is a good time to figure out which properties have the best bucks on them...
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:38 am

dan wrote:

Shine
glass
scout topo's and aerials

Its a little early to be patterning deer. But it is a good time to figure out which properties have the best bucks on them...

When you say walking feeding areas. Does this include the edges of ag fields? Can you elaborate on this?
Thanks!

I'm shooting my bow, checking trail cams, shinning, and keeping cool:-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:41 am

I have a TON of public land near me that I have never stepped foot on, so I have been making aerial maps, shining, and driving around trying to find boundaries. Some of this new land has crop fields (I imagine they lease it out to farmers), so I am going to be driving around more at dusk trying to find which spots are getting more attention then others, and hopefully later on this summer a pattern will emerge. Most of this land is close to my house so it should be easy to scout from a distance, and since i just found it I think most of my hunts will be evening hunts where I go in blind and walk transition lines and looking for fresh sign based on my maps.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am

Let your cams do their work, glass fields in the evening, and practice, practice, practice with your bow.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:57 am

I have got a burning desire to canoe into an area and kill a buck. I just recently got this bug so I only have a few place I know well I can canoe too. So I will be trying to pick and area every weekend to spend some time in. I wont be looking for exact beds just lay of land and good pull up spots (entry/exit) maybe mark a map up with oak trees. I would like to go into the season with 4-5 different streams/ creeks, with 4-5 different stand areas to hunt. Besides that shooting bow, spending time with the family.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
dv1

Unread postby dv1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:02 am

UPbowhunter wrote:I have got a burning desire to canoe into an area and kill a buck. I just recently got this bug so I only have a few place I know well I can canoe too. So I will be trying to pick and area every weekend to spend some time in. I wont be looking for exact beds just lay of land and good pull up spots (entry/exit) maybe mark a map up with oak trees. I would like to go into the season with 4-5 different streams/ creeks, with 4-5 different stand areas to hunt. Besides that shooting bow, spending time with the family.

I've been doing the same in my Kayak since April/May...look close and you might see my boot prints if the spots are public. :D
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:12 am

Shoot the bow, look over equipment. It is a little too hot to do much scouting on foot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:15 am

Sounds like your working your tail off Ken. I just been thinking about a lot of places and not doing too much. Them dang flies are wicked right now. I have to get busier shooting. I ordered a recurve on line, and kept getting backorder notices and cancelled it. I was waiting for that to get shooting.

I did get some intel the other day and found a new spot in my ogre swamp I need to follow up on.

That is good input Dan. Shine, Glass, scout maps, and walk feeding areas. I am with Milk Weed Seed any more on this. I assume you are looking for some four finger tracks?

G3 you and Casper sound like you will be ready shooting wise, I need to pick it up as this is the least I have shot in years.

Brad I love hunting land I have not been on much. There are some public around here I drive around a bit and dream of finding an underhunted spot.

UPbowhunter, the canoe is addictive. I was looking at the MI season dates today as well. UP Muzzleloader season starts 12/7. I sure want to get up there for a 4 or 5 day hunt this year. It has been about 10 yrs since I took an extended hunt in the UP.

Stanley I agree a bit hot. But the bugs get to me more than the heat. Them dang flies.

Good stuff dv1, beat UPbowhunter to it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:16 am

Casper wrote:Let your cams do their work, glass fields in the evening, and practice, practice, practice with your bow.

This with a few beers thrown in the mix
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17 am

Eh Doug you want to hook up this year let me know I have kayaks and a 17' canoe. we can share filmin if you want. It would be fun early season for earnin our buck tags! Call me.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:
dan wrote:

Shine
glass
scout topo's and aerials

When you say walking feeding areas. Does this include the edges of ag fields? Can you elaborate on this?
Thanks!

I'm shooting my bow, checking trail cams, shinning, and keeping cool:-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Forgot about trail cam's, I have one out right now... Yes I meant mostly ag fields. But I also went out the other day and checked to make sure acorns were growing in a couple spots. The time to check is not just before your hunt in my opinion.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:42 am

I spent a lot of time this week getting my gear in order and checking everything out to make sure it's in good shape for the season. Been shooting my bow and plan on getting to more 3D shoots as the season gets closer. I shine and glass pretty much all year round but increase drastically the next month or so trying to pattern certain deer. Other than that trying to stay in shape as much as possible with some weight lifting and hiking/biking to be physically ready for the season.

Also since trail cams are now legal on state land I will be using them to take inventory to hopefully see deer I don't spot when shining.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”