Success rate.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Re: Success rate.

Unread postby RUTIN » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 am

Im just as curious about this as most Stanley so im trying to learn here not be ignorant but it look like the scab is right where the spine, should blade and lungs all meet up.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 am

RUTIN wrote:Im just as curious about this as most Stanley so im trying to learn here not be ignorant but it look like the scab is right where the spine, should blade and lungs all meet up.

You got the backstraps. The spine dips low in that area. Here's a good pic of it.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:59 am

Spysar wrote:
RUTIN wrote:Im just as curious about this as most Stanley so im trying to learn here not be ignorant but it look like the scab is right where the spine, should blade and lungs all meet up.

You got the backstraps. The spine dips low in that area. Here's a good pic of it.

Interesting! I knew the spine dropped in that area but never thought it did that much! :shock: I butchered a lot of deer and never noticed it to the extreme in your picture. I must be shooting some freak deer! :? Next time I am butchering I will pay better attention to this.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 am

You were within an inch or so of knocking him into the dirt. I have killed a deer or two with someone else's broadheads in the steaks. The arrow can skif upwards also giving the illusion of a better hit. I suspect this may be the case with your buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:17 am

Zap wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:
Zap wrote:100%. 8-)

:liar: I don't know a bowhun ter who has never lost a deer. You are the first I guess?? :?

I was commenting on Bowhuntin Brians post, I have lost one.

I can honestly tell you I have not lost a single deer yet with the bow. I have missed two completetly though. one arrow right over the deers back and another arrow fell short. (long shot early in my hunting life that I would never do again). of all the deer I have shot with the bow (not many, 7 or 8 I think), the longest shot was about 20 yards and my average kills were only 12 yards or closer. If I shot 20 or more yards, I'm sure I could have some loses. this post was about bow hunting, but I did hit one with a shotgun that I didn't find. we tracked it for a long time and very little blood from the start, so we are pretty sure I just grazed it and it was fine.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:10 am

Definately not a subject we like to talk about but will happen sooner or later...

The first 4 deer I lost from inexperience and/or trying to make more of a shot than I had opportunity (almost gave up bow hunting).
Last 4 deer where clean kills!
50% ratio - however after smartening up 100% ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:38 am

I would say ~100/10. Luckily I have never fatally injured a buck with a bow. I have actually only hit one with an arrow that didn't die, and I only gave him a bee sting (crack in arrow shaft at screw insert, on impact arrow splintered and broadhead lodged down arrow spine). I would say roughly 100 deer with the bow- only know numbers over past 3 years (14, 19, 23). I am really selective on shots with does - I would say only half of the does have shots that could potentially kill them, I know I have skimmed a couple.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 am

Spysar wrote:

Intersting... this would make more sence and brings a little more closure to me honestly. This deer still haunts me!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:16 pm

I've been bow hunting for 26 years this year. Up till 2009 I had NEVER wounded a deer. At the time I had just wounded one animal and that was a bear back In 1991. In 2009 I wounded my 1st deer, It was a 150 Inch 4.5 year old buck. 2 years later (LAST YEAR) I wounded another deer, he was a 115 Inch 5.5 year old. You can say my confidence level Is kinda low right now. Pretty much In a funk with my head playing games on me right now. Not sure either on how many deer I've shot either. Gotta be somewhere In that 25 to 30 range. I've shot 10 bear, I remember them. Everything Is bow hunting. I'm not a gun hunter.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Spysar wrote:

Nice skinin job.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:41 am

2 bucks, one was about 150", the other a neighbor found it and gave me the rack, a decent 7 point. 2 does, that I remember. I have shot about 20 deer with the bow. So that would put my rate at about 5/1 or so. I have clean missed a few too.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:28 am

I haven't lost a deer bow hunting to date. But I've only been bow hunting deer since 2008. I lost one gun hunting. Lost two turkeys bow hunting which stung. So my turkey bow hunting rate of recovery is 5/2. One of those two got snatched up by a coyote before I could get to it. The other one flew off with my arrow in it.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 am

Not sure exactly how many deer I have killed, but I did not recover 4.
Worst one was a 150" 8 point probably close to the 200# mark on the hoof. I hit him in the liver and he went 25 yards and dropped and flopped around. I watched him get up and bed next to a tree, then he got up and walked to the boardering property (suburbs) out of sight. The neighbors landscapers were blowing leaves off the roof about 200 yards away. I thought I saw antlers sticking up in the grass. I tried to sneak up, but as in episode 1 of EWT where Dan spoke about how they lay looking at their back trail.... He bolted up and ran down hill crossing a street into no mans land. The road looked like two cans of red paint had been tipped over. I packed my stand and headed to the truck. Seeing all that blood I thought it was his death run. I drove to that spot where he had crossed and stepped out of the truck to see him run off one last time, that as about 45 minutes after I shot him. Still think about how I pushed him WAY to much.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”