Deer Hunting Annoyance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rizzo999
500 Club

Re: Deer Hunting Annoyance

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 pm

Just a few...

*Ticks- they seem to love me. Had the misfortune of being diagnosed with Lyme's back in 2005. Not fun...

*Trash/litter- Hunted a "new" piece of public land last Fall for a week that I found ZERO garbage on the 400+ acres! I went straight to a heavily hunted public land which had granola bar wrappers, soda cans/bottles, cigarette butts, plastic bags, etc... It was very disappointing how disrespectful (and lazy) other people using the land for recreation can be.

*Peruvian food night before gun opener- 20 years ago I joined my girlfriend (now wife) on a college Spanish class trip to a latin museum and Peruvian restaurant. Opening morning just after daybreak I begin having some abdominal cramping and thought I was going to vomit. I climbed down from the tree and almost instantly I realized that there was going to be an explosion out the opposite end which was going to be a problem as I was wearing many layers and 1-piece overalls. Well, I was successful in getting all of the layers down and experiencing an eruption that brought a sigh of relief to me. Then, I realized that I don't have anything to wipe with other than weeds and dried leaves. As I try to figure out how many tons of dead foliage I need I look down to notice that my long johns were hit by the eruption. I was excited that I finally had something to wipe with....except now I needed to strip down even more to get the long johns off. I finally get them off and take care of my business and 2 deer take off just 30-40 yd from me in a thicket. I was pissed at this point and decided to get home before the next round. Good decision as I barely made it home. Actually, I had to walk thru my parents home with muddy boots just to make it to the toilet for round 2. Please avoid Peruvian food if you are going out hunting the next day!!!

Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed May 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Dewey wrote:Easy answer...........variable winds.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Ticks. Hate them and the're a big problem here in the Northeast. Also having to drop a log in the woods. Especially late season. Pealing off 5 layers then having my but freeze while I drop a coil. Having to walk far from a stand site to drop it... Kick dirt on it, etc. Just not a fun experience.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun May 24, 2015 1:57 am

rizzo999 wrote:Just a few...

*Ticks- they seem to love me. Had the misfortune of being diagnosed with Lyme's back in 2005. Not fun...

*Trash/litter- Hunted a "new" piece of public land last Fall for a week that I found ZERO garbage on the 400+ acres! I went straight to a heavily hunted public land which had granola bar wrappers, soda cans/bottles, cigarette butts, plastic bags, etc... It was very disappointing how disrespectful (and lazy) other people using the land for recreation can be.

*Peruvian food night before gun opener- 20 years ago I joined my girlfriend (now wife) on a college Spanish class trip to a latin museum and Peruvian restaurant. Opening morning just after daybreak I begin having some abdominal cramping and thought I was going to vomit. I climbed down from the tree and almost instantly I realized that there was going to be an explosion out the opposite end which was going to be a problem as I was wearing many layers and 1-piece overalls. Well, I was successful in getting all of the layers down and experiencing an eruption that brought a sigh of relief to me. Then, I realized that I don't have anything to wipe with other than weeds and dried leaves. As I try to figure out how many tons of dead foliage I need I look down to notice that my long johns were hit by the eruption. I was excited that I finally had something to wipe with....except now I needed to strip down even more to get the long johns off. I finally get them off and take care of my business and 2 deer take off just 30-40 yd from me in a thicket. I was pissed at this point and decided to get home before the next round. Good decision as I barely made it home. Actually, I had to walk thru my parents home with muddy boots just to make it to the toilet for round 2. Please avoid Peruvian food if you are going out hunting the next day!!!

I hate ticks- and you getting diagnosed with Lyme's is a terrible thing to have to endure. Did I mention I really, really hate ticks?!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun May 24, 2015 1:57 am

Lot of tick votes. I too hate ticks. I wonder why there are so many of those stinking bugs?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sun May 24, 2015 4:40 am

stash59 wrote:Met a guy with the deer allergy problem. Thankfully don't seem to be bothered by poison ivy. Thankfully on early morning hunts the #2 business usualy hits before reaching the stand, Don't drink coffe anymore and always quit during hunting season to help with not having to pee. Shot a buck one year that ran by my lil bro while he was doing his coffee pee dance. So agree with Magicman. It's the skeeters ans bugs early season.

Stash, just pee out of your stand. It doesn't bother the deer even if they smell it. Lots of scape hunters even pee to make or refresh deer scrapes. If you don't believe me, look into it, or just try it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Florida
500 Club

Unread postby Florida » Sun May 24, 2015 4:40 am

Sorry deleted double post.

As long as I have a post here. I gotta say chiggers. Do you guys have them up north?
Last edited by Florida on Sun May 24, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Florida
500 Club

Unread postby Florida » Sun May 24, 2015 4:42 am

Stanley wrote:I'm voting for irritable bowel. Just hard to time things as I get older.

Should I hunt, or should I go now?
Should I hunt, or should I go?
If I go hunt, there will be trouble!
And if I stay, it could be double!
So come on bowels, let me know?
Should I stay or should I go? ;) :lol:

:lol: what a beautiful poem

mobowhunter77

Unread postby mobowhunter77 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:15 pm

Early season bugs, allergies, dropping a deuce (no. 2) with flies buzzing around and landing on the poo then landing on you.

I sneeze so much I feel like my brain is going to come of my nose and probably scare anything coming my way. Also really hate chiggers especially on my ba**s... I love and hate the scratching.

Still after all that I still love the hunt...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:12 pm

There is not much of anything actually hunting related that annoys me. I love it all... When others say they hate hot weather, I put on a t-shirt and a smile and head out. I love it... Rain, snow, cold, pressure etc... Hard work, hard times, impossible odds, crazy weather, dead batteries, dead lost... Its all great. Its my scars, my wounds, my misses, etc. That make the rare days picking the exact tree I need to be in to shoot the exact buck I set out to conquer make me raise my bow in the air arms spread wide all alone staring up at heaven screaming "YEA, I DID IT" and no one else needs to understand.

IF THERE IS NOTHING IN HEAVEN TO TEST MY METAL, SEND ME TO HE11 AND I WILL HUNT THE DEVIL... If your annoyed by obstacles you may want to think twice about your choice to hunt beast style....
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:02 pm

Florida wrote:
stash59 wrote:Met a guy with the deer allergy problem. Thankfully don't seem to be bothered by poison ivy. Thankfully on early morning hunts the #2 business usualy hits before reaching the stand, Don't drink coffe anymore and always quit during hunting season to help with not having to pee. Shot a buck one year that ran by my lil bro while he was doing his coffee pee dance. So agree with Magicman. It's the skeeters ans bugs early season.

Stash, just pee out of your stand. It doesn't bother the deer even if they smell it. Lots of scape hunters even pee to make or refresh deer scrapes. If you don't believe me, look into it, or just try it.

I try not to pee from the stand, not because of the scent, but because it can be loud when it hits the dry leaves on the ground. If there is a breeze enough to cover the sound I try to time it. If not enough breeze I try to find a downed tree or some spot i can aim to reduce the sound. Then I'm always worried about peeing on my ropes or straps that are on the tree I'm in, or my frame pack at the base of my tree if it's with me... the struggle is real.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:13 pm

When I first opened this post I was thinking "annoyances? we're blessed that we get to deal with all of the things we deal with when deer hunting"... but after reading the comments, I agree... erly season mosquitoes, ticks, poison ivy, needing to pee with late season layers on, the need to drop a #2... all quite annoying. Squirrels annoy me, but they also help wake me up from getting sleepy or complacent at times, so they are annoying, but a hidden blessing to me... sometimes. This whole being allergic to deer thing is news to me. I hadn't heard about that before, and thank God I don't have that. I pack out, so do all of my butchering in the woods, and I most often hunt alone, so that would be a major inconvenience for me. I'd feel bad asking for someone else to do the only part of hunting that I find not very enjoyable, but then again, if I had a buddy with that issue I'd be glad to do it for him.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 am

Trash in the woods. I scouted some public land 3 days this weekend one area had so many beer cans it was disgusting. Illegal treestands everywhere. But there was tons of deer sign. Droppings, tracks,and some chest high rubs. Has me scratching my head. Them drunks must not be much of a threat to the deer
PoppaOtt84

Unread postby PoppaOtt84 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 am

There are definitely a lot of things that could annoy a person, if you let it. One of my favorite quotes is: "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

..but if I had to pick one id say being in a rush. It's annoying when I have to rush to get a hunt in, or I have to rush to get out of the woods to get somewhere. That is life though :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”