Big bucks in food plots Q

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Re: Big bucks in food plots Q

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:09 am

You guys are not making me feel very optimistic on killing one the first year... Lol.

Well, I'm going to give it a whirl anyway, I have a spot on a ridge, between some fingers that jet out.

Here is the buck my cousin killed last year opening night of bow season over his first year food plot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:22 am

yes i understand, we have gun season first weekend in dec and goes til 3rd weekend,(shotgun). the farms all around mine get pushed out daily by a few diff groups, and they go threw mine if they know im not around. Then muzz starts and goes till jan 10. if you have an ok size piece and you dont pressure it at all and hunt it when its colder than heck it will pay off. Im taking a couple acre food plot thats in a good location and people havent hunted it. Yes after jan 1st is better its colder and the pressure has let up i will not deny that.
rff

Unread postby rff » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 am

Nothing wrong with intercepting bucks on the way to food plots. Can be done.

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:You guys are not making me feel very optimistic on killing one the first year... Lol.

Well, I'm going to give it a whirl anyway, I have a spot on a ridge, between some fingers that jet out.

Here is the buck my cousin killed last year opening night of bow season over his first year food plot.

nice buck. it for sure can be done the first year im just saying your chances go up the more years, because you have yearlings that start out feeding in that spot and continue as they age and mature. if you can make it bigger i would cause when they decide to hit it one that size can be takn over in a few nights.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:53 pm

I agree with Bucky and IowaWT. Here in my michigan plots I've seen some mature bucks in daylight several times. Also get some daylight pics on the plots. Very early season skirting the food, rut skirting the food, and late season come in near last light if you've kept the pressure off and they think it's a completely safe approach TO the food and safe on the food. It's no iowa experience, but if you keep at it it can be done even on small parcels like mine. I surely wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket, but I see it enough to be somewhat optimistic on cold days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”