Entry question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Entry question

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

I was watching Marsh bucks again and picked up on something I had over looked every other time. Dan was talking about the spot where the other hunters left the parking lot and walked to the big woods on the trail. Dan said he had two different entry modes to that area based on the wind, one being going up on the trail like he was headed to the big woods until he is past where his scent could get to the buck, and then coming back down in on him. My question is how much human activity will a buck generally take before blowing out of his bed in a situation like this. I imagine a lot of hunters used that trail regardless of wind and probably showered that spot with human scent, so would they just naturally expect human scent in that area, and then become alarmed if it is in a spot not normally used by humans, or do they blow out any time they smell human scent regardless how often they encounter it? The reason I ask is because I hunt a lot of state parks with hiking trails, and I think if the bucks are used (or not surprised) to find human scent near these trails, I could use these to cut the distance (and noise) and then come in from a direction where they wind wouldn't blow my scent into the beds.

Also, do deer like to watch people using these trails because they can monitor activity, or do you tend to see them in spots where humans seldom ever go? In some of these state parks there are trails everywhere, so I imagine there has to come a point where as long is scent is in certain spots, it isn't alarming IF the deer are using these spots at all anyway.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Entry question

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Good question Brad... I know you attended my scouting workshop and looked at the bed you are asking about. I am convinced that deer can smell how far away we are. Because walking on those trails where they expect humans to be is accepted but cutting that distance in 1/2 is not even though at spots like the one your talking about, the deer can't actually see you.
I often use human trails for entry even with bad wind for that entry, or with the buck able to see me until I get past and circle around... It needs to be a trail that humans use on a regular basis though...
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 am

dan wrote: I often use human trails for entry even with bad wind for that entry, or with the buck able to see me until I get past and circle around... It needs to be a trail that humans use on a regular basis though...

Sounds like a solid tactic I could use on the heavily hiked/hunted state lands by me?
Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:41 am

I think entry and exit strategies are my achilles heel at this point, that and not scouting enough. I was watching Marsh bucks and that jumped right out at me, the other 50 times I have watched it it went right over my head, just goes to show you can learn something new every day. Now I have to go re watch Hill Country!

Milk Weed Seed wrote:
dan wrote: I often use human trails for entry even with bad wind for that entry, or with the buck able to see me until I get past and circle around... It needs to be a trail that humans use on a regular basis though...

Sounds like a solid tactic I could use on the heavily hiked/hunted state lands by me?
Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”