EHD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

EHD

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 pm

With all the talk about the drought. I was thinking about something today.

I have read that normally, big HD outbreaks occur on a 6-7 year cycle. It's only been 5 years since our last one, but considering the weather conditions, it may be close enough.

I think I will be watching for outbreak signs in late July and August! We were hit hard
both here and in Ohio. Water holes were notorious for leaving dead deer all around them.

I dont know if you guys had it bad where you hunt..but there were parts of Ohio you couldnt stand to drive down a country road due to the smell.

Zap

Re: EHD

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 pm

:whistle:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 am

I hope this year is not a bad year for that. We dont have it up this far north but when I go to Illinois to shed hunt it can be crazy! My first year down there I could not believe all the racks we found from EHD kills...I bet we found 25 skulls that year in one day
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:57 am

G3s wrote:I hope this year is not a bad year for that. We dont have it up this far north but when I go to Illinois to shed hunt it can be crazy! My first year down there I could not believe all the racks we found from EHD kills...I bet we found 25 skulls that year in one day

Wow thats terrible! I treid to go out in search while I was in OHio...but man the locals had things cleaned up on a day to day basis!!
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:28 pm

We had it bad last year in the north east. I don't think drought is a direct cause of EHD. They get it from midges aka no see em's. I think I read wet weather helps it along. They get a high fever and that's what pushes them to water to cool off.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Milk Weed Seed on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm

The midges are around the mud at dried up waterholes.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:We had it bad last year in the north east. I don't think drought is a direct cause of EHD. They get it from midges aka no see em's. I think I read wet weather helps it along. They get a high fever and that's what pushes them to water to cool off.

I stand corrected I just googled "drought cause of EHD" and it contradicted what I had read in a local paper last year when a few hundred deer were beleived to have died from EHD last August.

bk123

Unread postby bk123 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Gully washer please!!!!
I'm ready to hibernate.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:
Milk Weed Seed wrote:We had it bad last year in the north east. I don't think drought is a direct cause of EHD. They get it from midges aka no see em's. I think I read wet weather helps it along. They get a high fever and that's what pushes them to water to cool off.

I stand corrected I just googled "drought cause of EHD" and it contradicted what I had read in a local paper last year when a few hundred deer were beleived to have died from EHD last August.

I was not trying to correct you, just get the correct info out.
Most folks do not know about midges.....
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:43 am

Zap wrote:
Milk Weed Seed wrote:

I was not trying to correct you, just get the correct info out.
Most folks do not know about midges.....

Hey thats perfectly fine. If someone posts incorrect info (as I did) it does no good for the site. I'm glad to be made aware of my misleading post, it's the only way to learn. It's all good!

moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:17 am

I see a whole lot of cases of EHD every year. My state has, on average, the largest amount of EHD cases per year. Last year MT and KS got it the worst. Some years are worse than others, but in general, every year it can be real bad in pockets - it's not a cyclical thing, pretty much depends more on the abundance of the flying midge than it does on a cycle. I had buddies find 10 or 15 bucks on a single property last year, particularly in the marshes. I couldn't put a number on the amount of dead bucks I find a year, and how many of them are EHD related. Some of the biggest dead bucks I have found were from EHD. Every year when shed hunting I find a bunch, maybe around 100 or more, I don't really know a number. It is tough to judge how many does are killed by EHD as well. Bucks are easily characterized by prickly bases and lighter, sometimes bulbous antlers.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:01 pm

moondoondude wrote:I see a whole lot of cases of EHD every year. My state has, on average, the largest amount of EHD cases per year. Last year MT and KS got it the worst. Some years are worse than others, but in general, every year it can be real bad in pockets - it's not a cyclical thing, pretty much depends more on the abundance of the flying midge than it does on a cycle. I had buddies find 10 or 15 bucks on a single property last year, particularly in the marshes. I couldn't put a number on the amount of dead bucks I find a year, and how many of them are EHD related. Some of the biggest dead bucks I have found were from EHD. Every year when shed hunting I find a bunch, maybe around 100 or more, I don't really know a number. It is tough to judge how many does are killed by EHD as well. Bucks are easily characterized by prickly bases and lighter, sometimes bulbous antlers.

Wow thats amazing. Mother Nature can be a cruel character sometimes. I could imagine what type of bucks you guys could have without the killoff happening so often. Your bucks age structure could be really good!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”