Food for deer and buck on camera Q's.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

monster6

Food for deer and buck on camera Q's.

Unread postby monster6 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:45 am

Ok guys, i have two questions to ask. I was talking to a buddy of mine about acorns and beans/corn. With this extremeley warm weather and drought here in SE WI, do you guys think it would better patterning the deer come fall with the shortage of acorns? Im no expert on acorns/beans/corn but im sure this weather has some factors with the growth process.

Question #2.

Guys have said that when you get photo's of a good or shooter buck in daylight you should dive in and go after him right away. My question is, if you leave your camera out there for a few weeks or even just days, and the buck was showing himself in daylight, 4 days ago (hypothetically speaking) is it already too late to hunt him then or do you still go after him hoping he's still on that routine?

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Food for deer and buck on camera Q's.

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 am

monster6 wrote: With this extremeley warm weather and drought here in SE WI, do you guys think it would better patterning the deer come fall with the shortage of acorns? Im no expert on acorns/beans/corn but im sure this weather has some factors with the growth process.

I'm no expert either but I know down here on a very dry year what few acorns that make it will drop early. That's why acorns on a ridgetop will generally drop sooner than those in the bottoms..... moisture availability. As far as the beans / corn, if your year is like ours down here, there ain't gonna be much left for harvest, let alone any left over for the deer. Corn is a wash here this year, it's burnin up in the field. The beans could be fine if we get some rain but now they're just layin there. Haven't had rain in weeks.

But all that aside, pattern your deer off bedding. Doesn't matter what the corn, beans, or acorns do. There's other foods available, you need to find them all.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:35 am

Could be a year to hit the water holes hard. I plan on that.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Guys have said that when you get photo's of a good or shooter buck in daylight you should dive in and go after him right away. My question is, if you leave your camera out there for a few weeks or even just days, and the buck was showing himself in daylight, 4 days ago (hypothetically speaking) is it already too late to hunt him then or do you still go after him hoping he's still on that routine?

You need to try and figure out if the change in daylight movement is due to him moving. ( no more pictures) or his movement getting later at night.
If he is coming in later, you need to look closer at the moon phase's he was coming in early, and/or the wind directions... Sometimes they only bed in a certain location on a certain wind,.. If you only see him on a north wind for instance, it don't matter if he has not been on the camera in four days if its been that long since a north wind... So, if you notice a moon or wind pattern on the camera, hunt when that pattern repeats...

I remember a huge 8 pointer Andrae shot years ago... He was driving his ATV out of the woods and seen the buck rise from a bed getting nervous watching him... So he acted like he did not notice and drove right by and the buck stayed there.... The bed was on a small island of trees in the middle of a bean field. There was no way to get close to that island without pushing the buck... Andrae could see the buck from the road with bino's in its bed after 1st seeing him and knowing where the bed was... He watched the booner class 8 point for over a week. Every evening it would get up just before dark and start heading for the far corner of the field. But would not reach the woodline before dark. Andrae wen out of town to a different state to hunt, a few days into the hunt he decided to go back and hunt the 8 point soley because he now had a moon over head before dark in the evening... Without glassing at all he told me he would shoot that buck that night. And he did. with plenty of shooting light...
The point is, a trail cam, or a sighting gives you a lot more than a picture... Think about the wind , moon, weather, or any other factors that could be playing part in the bucks movement.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”