how long do you sit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

how long do you sit

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:27 am

When a buck beds down after nocturnal feeding...how long would you imagine he beds before he is back on his feet?
I curious if the evening thermals allows to setup long before dark how many hours before sunset do you try and get situated for the evening set?

I realize there would be different scenarios....but generally speaking.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

headgear
500 Club

Re: how long do you sit

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:49 am

I am sure a buck gets up to stretch and have a small bite to eat some time mid-day but I don't think they get too far from their bed when they do it.

Ideally I like to have 5-6 hours before dark, that usually gives me pleny of time to sneak up on him and hunt for 3 or so hours. Somestimes I use a canoe so it is nice to have the extra time then as well. Most of the time I am left with 3-4 hours and have to make due. Sometimes that only leaves me 1 or 2 hours to hunt but I feel a super stealthy entrance is far more important than time on the stand. In extreme cases I have taken 4 hours to hike in quiet, get setup and then only hunt for an hour. I cover a lot of ground in 15-20 minutes but then really slow it down the last 200-300 yards before my tree.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:27 am

headgear wrote:I am sure a buck gets up to stretch and have a small bite to eat some time mid-day but I don't think they get too far from their bed when they do it.

Ideally I like to have 5-6 hours before dark, that usually gives me pleny of time to sneak up on him and hunt for 3 or so hours. Somestimes I use a canoe so it is nice to have the extra time then as well. Most of the time I am left with 3-4 hours and have to make due. Sometimes that only leaves me 1 or 2 hours to hunt but I feel a super stealthy entrance is far more important than time on the stand. In extreme cases I have taken 4 hours to hike in quiet, get setup and then only hunt for an hour. I cover a lot of ground in 15-20 minutes but then really slow it down the last 200-300 yards before my tree.

^^ X2 ^^
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 am

if your talking hill country, from Dans videos, they set up below or to the side of the deer, so thermals won't really matter too much. (to a point). thermals go downward in the evening and upward in the morning.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:19 am

In marsh settings I have watched bucks rise from their bed almost 30-45 mins from dark... usually they don't move more than 5-50 yards until right before dusk... younger deer get up and move out quicker, 4yr + not so much
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am

If I'm hunting the bottom of the hill during early season, I'll sneak in for the last hr. Id rather get busted by a doe or young buck then having the winds swirl or the wind circling back up the hill. If wind n thermals are to my advantage, 3 or 4 hrs early season. Atleast 4 or 5 during late Oct n November.

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Casper wrote:If I'm hunting the bottom of the hill during early season, I'll sneak in for the last hr. Id rather get busted by a doe or young buck then having the winds swirl or the wind circling back up the hill. If wind n thermals are to my advantage, 3 or 4 hrs early season. Atleast 4 or 5 during late Oct n November.

X2
If sitting below, I will stay off to the side til I feel the thermal direction change and then move in for the kill...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”