buffalo county

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

buffalo county

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:38 am

Would you lease land there if it was with 5 other guys on 300 acres? 4 of the 5 only gun hunt and the other is a rut guy

1150 per guy with a trailer

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: buffalo county

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 am

Many Q's
what type of management on neighboring properties?
what are your management plans?
how long can you lease?
how good do you know the other guys involved?
how good is the property itself?
are you allowed to improve the property?
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:23 am

You can't get much better than Buffalo county. Personally I would be all over it especially being more of a bow hunter than gun.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 am

If you don't lease it someone else will.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:50 am

Is $23 an acre a bargain or high price to pay for leases in buffalo county?Having it to yourself mostly for bow seems like a plus.Whats the worst that could happen try it for a year and get out if you dont like it.The best you could find a great spot for years.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:02 am

If they stay out of there and are not walking around checking cameras etc. then I would do it
Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:05 am

I would jump on that, if you can keep that mostly to yourself to bowhunt. Just have to communicate with others to stay out unless they hunt it to keep it minimally pressured.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:07 am

There are a lot of things that need to be considered when considering a lease...

1st off, although B.C. is known for its great hunting and management, not all properties in B.C. are great... I have noticed that the "great" properties in that area usually go very fast because there are outfitters and big name rich hunters who let it be known they will pay top dollar... So its the lesser properties that become available (in that area) to average hunters...

When looking at a lease or purchase property to consider buying into, I would look close at a topo map and figure out how much bedding there is, and on what winds it would be best to hunt them.
A property can only hold as many big bucks as it has big buck bedding areas...

I would also strongly consider access to the property. Do you have more than one access? Is your access going to jeopardize your hunting?

What winds are you able to hunt the property effectively on? I suspect you have a West to N.West primary wind there with an East wind being rare...

Do you have a valley access? Or an access from above? Valley access is usually a lot harder than access from above because of thermals and deer watching the valley.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:08 am

I would recommend not posting a map of property that is currently up for grabs, but I would be willing to take a glance at it if you want to pm it to me, or stop by and pull it up on the computer.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks for the great responses guys. I need to talk to my friend more who gave me the offer.
He had to run after church today when he offered it to me. I will be able to really get some questions answered after the 4th.

Thanks Dan I will definitely get a hold of you with details and a map
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:39 am

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:Thanks for the great responses guys. I need to talk to my friend more who gave me the offer.
He had to run after church today when he offered it to me. I will be able to really get some questions answered after the 4th.

Thanks Dan I will definitely get a hold of you with details and a map

For me it would come down to a couple things... who are the other guys? Do you know them? How do you decide who gets what local for gun season? I would need to see the topo and aerial (for me out there you NEED top/multiple access pts). Does the place have water on it? How far is it from where you live and do you have the time to travel + hunt. If you live down my Milwaukee I'm guessing that is a 5hr+ drive... how many times a year can you make that trip? Was it hunted/leased in the past? For $1000 it might be worth a shot if you get the answers your looking for to the above ?s
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”