Neck shots, ethical?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Are neck shots on whitetails ethical ?

Yes
11%
no
25%
sometimes
14%
only with a gun
50%

Total votes: 150
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Neck shots, ethical?

Unread postby dan » Fri May 14, 2010 10:16 am

Do you think neck shots on whiteails are ethical? When, and at what range will you take a neck shot?

Beauford

Re: Neck shots, ethical?

Unread postby Beauford » Fri May 14, 2010 10:27 am

No I would not take a next shot. Things go wrong sometimes I would rather lose a little meat than miss the deer or wound it.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 am

I voted no with a bow. It's a no brainer to me.
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Fri May 14, 2010 10:32 am

The only time I would take a neck shot is with a rifle, less than 100 yds, if I had a steady rest, the animal is not moving and there are no obstructions.

I've seen it done with a bow on the outdoor channel and it bothers me that people are taking that shot on purpose. One that sticks out in my mind is the big non-typical that Stan Potts shot in Illinois. It appeared to me that he shot it near the throat patch, on purpose while the buck was facing him. It also looked as though it took a great deal of time to recover the buck with little blood. I would never attempt that shot with a bow, too great a chance for just wounding such a great animal.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 am

I voted no for bow, yes for gun.

I have not done it with a bow and will not do it. Too much can go wrong.

I have done it with a gun and dropped deer on the spot at less than 100 yds. I would do it again but I would restrict myself to less than 100 yds with the 7 mm and less than about 50-60 with a 12 ga.
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Fri May 14, 2010 11:06 am

No with a bow, Yes with a gun. I could never make myself take a neckshot with my bow. I have never taken a neck shot with a gun, but I would if the deer was not moving and it would be a good clear shot.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 pm

None for me, on purpose anyway.
I shot a buck thru the neck with my bow, I think he ducked and turned. But maybe I just made a bad shot.
One and a half miles tracking job. But I found him, at 1:30 AM.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri May 14, 2010 1:02 pm

I didn't know what the heck I was doing when I first started hunting. An old guy told me to "shoot em in the neck". So I shot my first two bucks in the neck with a 30-06. They dropped on the spot, yet something felt wrong to me. That was in 1995 I believe. I have not shot another deer in the neck again and will not do it ever again. I only bowhunt these days but even if I were to ever switch back to gun hunting, I still would not shoot a deer in the neck.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri May 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Neck shots are ethical for those who execute them routinely. I know a few hunters who only shoot them there.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri May 14, 2010 2:51 pm

I voted yes w/ both weapons. I don't gun hunt much anymore but I think it can be a lethal shot.
As far as archery goes I haven't taken a neck shot since my very 1st one. I didn't know any better. It was a doe, I was Jazzed beyond belief and she wasn't showin' what the text book was askin for. I was at full draw before I should've been and she was 1/4'n towards me. She turned to look behind her exposing her neck. I surmised that her neck was the way to go. 4 may be 5 inches in dia. if i hit it, I spine her or smoke the Juggy or I clean miss. I dropped the string. she ran maybe 20 yds. and piled up right there in front of God and everyone. Man! That was something. Freakin' blood every where. Let me tell ya, they can leak some red stuff out of the radiator hose.
I told all the guys down at the spot league I was in and never got such an chewing.
So long story short. I probably wouldn't do it again. Most does linger around long enough for a higher % shot and the size of the neck on a buck just doesn't give you the same odds.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Is it ethical?..................We're already debating ethics on another thread......... Would I take the shot gun or bow? No, except in the instance that the deer was less than 20 yards and I was on the ground, and the deer was facing me totally head on and not aware I was there. In this unlikely instance I would aim for the soft spot just above the brisket, it is only about as big as a baseball on a whitetail so the shot would have to be perfect and probably not going to ever present itself in my lifetime :mrgreen:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 14, 2010 6:25 pm

I said no to bow and gun. Why waste a good neck roast. ;)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat May 15, 2010 12:00 am

The only time i will purposely take a neck shot is if i am finishing off the animal only with the gun. Like, if it is a spine shot, then i will finish it with a neck shot.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat May 15, 2010 1:38 pm

With a bow never with a bow, with a gun I would in a perfect situation. I once made a non fatal spine shot on a deer with a bow I then walked to within a few feet of the deer and put an arrow through its neck, didn't hit an artery and had to shoot it once more. Not a very pleasant kill.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 am

My biggest buck wass hot at 10 yards with gun.His head rose from his bed and I took the shot. I would again if it ever comes again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”