Neck shots, ethical?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Are neck shots on whitetails ethical ?

Yes
11%
no
25%
sometimes
14%
only with a gun
50%

Total votes: 150
Dunning Kruger

Re: Neck shots, ethical?

Unread postby Dunning Kruger » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:20 am

Ive shot a couple bucks in the neck with a .270 and a bear in the neck with a .44. Wouldnt do it with a bow though, dont have that kind of confidence in myself i guess. What if a buck jumps the string when youre going for a neck shot? Wheres that arrow going?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:30 am

Not pointing fingers at anybody here but in general those that take these risky shots have a MUCH higher wounding rate than the average hunter. From guys I know they only talk about the deer they kill with these shots and conveniently forget about all the deer they wound. When you have 5 wounded bucks for every one killed it’s time to rethink your shot selection. Sad to say I have seen this and the same guys keep repeating the same mistake and never learn from it. Guess they consider it collateral damage to reach their goal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 am

Dewey wrote:Not pointing fingers at anybody here but in general those that take these risky shots have a MUCH higher wounding rate than the average hunter. From guys I know they only talk about the deer they kill with these shots and conveniently forget about all the deer they wound. When you have 5 wounded bucks for every one killed it’s time to rethink your shot selection. Sad to say I have seen this and the same guys keep repeating the same mistake and never learn from it. Guess they consider it collateral damage to reach their goal.

im 100% with Dewey never take a shot you think you cant make this goes for any shot not just neck shots its not worth wounding a animal. i can shoot over 100 yards with a compound will i shoot that far on a living animal not a chance. when i say that i will take a tough shot i will tell everybody this i have been hunting since 96 i have well over 200 deer in the freezer mostly with a bow. i practice year round know how too tune a bow and arrow. i competitively shoot with gun and bow. but the most important thing is i never shoot out of my limits. sure i have lost a couple and everybody will its just how it goes. but i will never take a shot i dont think i can make. wild animals are a gift from god and need too be treated with respect and when taken they are a blessing.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 am

I won't attempt it with a bow, and I do not feel comfortable enough that I know the exact spot to aim with a gun, so I am very unlikely to attempt that too. I have seen the aftermath too many times from risky shots that should not have been taken, wastes a lot of time tracking a deer that are alive and you feel bad for an animal that is now possibly mamed.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:32 pm

My first 2 bucks were neck shots with a gun and both dropped on the spot. They were both under 20 yards. I have shot dozens of deer since and never attempted a neck shot. I would still take that shot at close range with the gun but I would never attempt it with the bow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”