How early of an age can a dow become receptive?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

How early of an age can a dow become receptive?

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 am

You know, each time I think or discuss rut and rut timing if you will.... I always consider the little gals.

I wonder at what age a doe can actually become receptive and impregnated, and can carry and deliver successful.

I had a doe on a farm that was an early born fawn (late March) I seen her being chased by several young bucks in late Nov making her only 8 months old. I seen pics from one of my trail cams of a small framed, short nosed, square looking doe and she was prego. All summer I watched a young doe and a regular, healthy looking fawn follow her around....make me wonder at what age can a doe become pregnant.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: How early of an age can a dow become receptive?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:57 am

from what I have heard, a doe born early in the year can be receptive during the same year. they usually get pregnant during the (2nd) rut some call it. body weight is the factor not age, which is why they conceive later than the first rutting period.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am

I can't remember, but I believe it is as early as six months in some cases with 7-8 months being more common. This typically happens in farm country, but is not very common in most big woods setting's.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 am

Yearlings go into heat in December usually. Seems to be about one month after the older does.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Guess that explains that for me :)

I have seen many yearling does being chased through the woods later season, but was caught by suprise when I seen her as a prego. I would imagine that would have to hard on a yearling to carry...would the mortality rate be higher for such a young deer to be pregnant?

I just seen I had a typo... DOW instead of doe...hehehe you all are really going to start thinking I am a hillbilly if I dont dont start proofing my typing ;)
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:17 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:from what I have heard, a doe born early in the year can be receptive during the same year. they usually get pregnant during the (2nd) rut some call it. body weight is the factor not age, which is why they conceive later than the first rutting period.

This is the answer. Does 65lbs and larger in NY will typically go through estrous regardless of age. For the little ones, birth date is a factor to a degree as a fawn born two weeks earlier than another in the same area will have in most cases put on more pounds.

This year's second rut was very pronounced here because of the delayed (lack of) winter weather conditions. The young of year were able to pack on quality food sources longer into the fall/winter. It resulted in a higher rate of them reaching the necessary body weight to cycle. I have never seen so many fresh scrapes and rubs pop up between Dec. 1 and December 10 in my life as I did this year. It was pretty neat to see. I'd curious to see if the buck mortalities were higher because of this...but that'd probably be moot because of the light winter.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:42 am

dan wrote:Yearlings go into heat in December usually. Seems to be about one month after the older does.

That is kind of what I have observed also. Momma kicks the yearling off to do her breeding and the doe fawns come into heat 4-6 weeks later.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:52 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:from what I have heard, a doe born early in the year can be receptive during the same year. they usually get pregnant during the (2nd) rut some call it. body weight is the factor not age, which is why they conceive later than the first rutting period.

That is the correct answer, I have read that many times before in published works and books. A EARLY dropped fawn can come into esterous it's first year but it is unlikely and not overly common. Food quality and availability play the largest role if it takes place.

Must have minerals and nutrients and be dropped early.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”