deer beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

deer beds

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:26 am

When you look at a deer bed...how do you tell the direction the deer is laying/facing?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: deer beds

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am

backstraps wrote:When you look at a deer bed...how do you tell the direction the deer is laying/facing?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

On some beds you can tell by the shape, by indents from the front knee/elbows, and other clues, In some areas beds always face a certain way. Like hill country in "most" instances the deer is looking down hill... Most of the time bucks bed looking down wind... But in beds that are used on any wind they may be in the same bed on different days facing different directions because of a different wind...

The way you get good at it is to look at a lot of beds up close in post season and start deciphering the clues. Most people don't look close enough, and don't go slow enough to see the big picture. That goes with more than just beds, every aspect of scouting... Every piece of sign you find that you feel is significant you should ask:
Why is this here?
When was it put here?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:22 am

Another good way to tell, is in winter if you have snow. Study the beds, you can easily, see the front legs and the knee indentation. In farm land they usually will face the more open areas, with the thicker cover at their back. they do this to use their ears to detect any danger comming throught the thick stuff.
I missed a lot of early spring scouting due to other commitments, so I am late scouting this year. One thing I have noticed is how easy it is to find beds this time of year. I wish, I would have had a camera with me the last time I went out. The beds show alot of use, the leaves are all matted down, some to bare ground, there is still hair in them. I'm not sure how this will correlate into hunting season, though as food sources will change considerably by then. Also, I'm sure I am doing damage, by entering bedding areas now, so I should really just shut it down for this year. Heat and bugs are getting pretty bad too.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am

Black Squirrel wrote: so I am late scouting this year. Also, I'm sure I am doing damage, by entering bedding areas now, so I should really just shut it down for this year. Heat and bugs are getting pretty bad too.

Im glad you mentioned this, because since I am very new to BEAST style bedding area hunting, I was curious, what time of year would most of you consider "too-late" to enter the woods and scout.

I know the DVD's mentioned scouting in April... and was curious would May and June be pushing the time some?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am

The 1st few months are best, but you could still get away with some now... Every time you enter a bucks bedroom you do some damage, so go in as little as possible. But if you need intel now, go get it. Remember, coyotes, stray dogs, hikers, and tresspassers probably wander thru each bedding area too every now and then... Just don't camp out there...
Andrae D'Aquisto is very successful on huge bucks and he does a lot of his scouting during the season or just before.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:42 pm

dan wrote: Andrae D'Aquisto is very successful on huge bucks and he does a lot of his scouting during the season or just before.

I love the hunt where he talks about jumping the big buck out of his bedroom and having time to setup and harvest him... spoke about the importance of getting it done right then!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”