My Deer Hunting Canoe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: My Deer Hunting Canoe

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:43 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:i need something like that to fish out of. Some guys have the balance of a dancer...thats not me. So canoes means I sit down. I am guessing this is stable enough to stand up in.

I will never forget the day...lol. Fly fishing for bass. All my gear on. I have a really light aluminum 16' canoe. Loaded at the beach. Whole bunch of people all on the beach. 50yds off the beach...standing up paddling. WHOA WHOA...yep. Totally dumped the canoe.

So from that day forward, no standing up for me. I have flipped out of canoes getting in and out of them so many times.

I've fallen out of a lot of canoes. I remember being on a lake in Michigan's U.P. In my friends yellow canoe. I set the hook hard on a smallmouth and the next thing I knew I was upside down in the water... so was the canoe and my friend. lol

This canoe is incredibly stable. Big dogs in and out, standing up, etc. is no big deal.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:i need something like that to fish out of. Some guys have the balance of a dancer...thats not me. So canoes means I sit down. I am guessing this is stable enough to stand up in.

I will never forget the day...lol. Fly fishing for bass. All my gear on. I have a really light aluminum 16' canoe. Loaded at the beach. Whole bunch of people all on the beach. 50yds off the beach...standing up paddling. WHOA WHOA...yep. Totally dumped the canoe.

So from that day forward, no standing up for me. I have flipped out of canoes getting in and out of them so many times.

I've fallen out of a lot of canoes. I remember being on a lake in Michigan's U.P. In my friends yellow canoe. I set the hook hard on a smallmouth and the next thing I knew I was upside down in the water... so was the canoe and my friend. lol

This canoe is incredibly stable. Big dogs in and out, standing up, etc. is no big deal.

Spent a LOT of time in a Gheenoe...but its 120+ pounds. I have lugged in on my back a few times. Super solid... CANNOT roll it even hanging off the side...but its just a tad to heavy.

I would love to put some sort of supports on the side of my light canoe to add stability.

Wonder how the 12' in this brand is for stability?
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Any noise issues with the foam on the outside when sticks brush up against it. I used a similar canoe 20 years ago and had that issue. I used to use a cedar strip canoe and liked how quite it was
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Sweet looking canoe
Aim small miss small
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 am

swampyak wrote:Any noise issues with the foam on the outside when sticks brush up against it. I used a similar canoe 20 years ago and had that issue. I used to use a cedar strip canoe and liked how quite it was

It really hasn't been an issue but I slow way down when there is a potential for noise. Being aluminum there are other materials that are quieter too... but again I slow way down when noise is an issue and it really hasn't been a problem for me.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:26 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
swampyak wrote:Any noise issues with the foam on the outside when sticks brush up against it. I used a similar canoe 20 years ago and had that issue. I used to use a cedar strip canoe and liked how quite it was

It really hasn't been an issue but I slow way down when there is a potential for noise. Being aluminum there are other materials that are quieter too... but again I slow way down when noise is an issue and it really hasn't been a problem for me.

Thanks
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 am

briar wrote:Image

That's the way to do it! Great looking canoe.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks singing bridge. It was a fun project!
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:40 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:
Johnboy wrote:How do you all transport your canoe? I'm having trouble finding an effective way to haul it to the water besides in the bed of my truck, sticking out ?

Just put the tailgate down and put one point of the canoe in a corner of the box. One ratchet strap and away I go. No issues even on the highway at 75mph.

14' canoe and 6.5' box so it sticks out some but no big deal.

I done some measuring this weekend. I got a 16' fiberglass so decided to just build a canoe rack on my 10' utility trailer. This will make the haul a little easier but not as convenient as having it in back of truck.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:43 am

Johnboy wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:
Johnboy wrote:How do you all transport your canoe? I'm having trouble finding an effective way to haul it to the water besides in the bed of my truck, sticking out ?

Just put the tailgate down and put one point of the canoe in a corner of the box. One ratchet strap and away I go. No issues even on the highway at 75mph.

I done some measuring this weekend. I got a 16' fiberglass so decided to just build a canoe rack on my 10' utility trailer. This will make the haul a little easier but not as convenient as having it in back of truck.

That should work out slick assuming you have the room to park and turn around with the trailer, that was the only thing that kept me from going that route. Good luck with it!
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:
Johnboy wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:

That should work out slick assuming you have the room to park and turn around with the trailer, that was the only thing that kept me from going that route. Good luck with it!

Mm! Never thought about the turning around problem! Good point, I know I got one place it could be problem. May make my paddle a little longer having to launch from a public ramp.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:48 am

My brother has one of these to put his 16 foot canoe on top of his S10. Works pretty good.

https://smile.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower ... eese+canoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Aet6Mo2kI
MattH

Unread postby MattH » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 pm

I recently discovered a nearby public spot that is water access only (on a lake). I was thinking of a canoe as an affordable option to possibly get to the spot this upcoming season. There is only one place to drop in on the lake and that is 2.5-3 miles from where the hunting region is located. Seems like it would be a long way to row or would take hours to access. To those of you who have canoes, how far can/do you paddle? How many use an outboard? Anyone use a trolling motor?
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm

MattH wrote:I recently discovered a nearby public spot that is water access only (on a lake). I was thinking of a canoe as an affordable option to possibly get to the spot this upcoming season. There is only one place to drop in on the lake and that is 2.5-3 miles from where the hunting region is located. Seems like it would be a long way to row or would take hours to access. To those of you who have canoes, how far can/do you paddle? How many use an outboard? Anyone use a trolling motor?

Personally there is no way I would be paddling that far. I would test with a trolling motor as it is much quieter and see if that meets the time frame you want. Otherwise if you watch Craigslist you can get a small aluminum boat and motor for 500 bucks without trying all that hard.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Best thing I ever owned was this little boat called a "water wagon". I loved that thing, some desperate fool at the end of his miserable ropes stole it out of back of my truck at Wally World last summer. I took that thing anywhere, it was made out of styrofoam
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”