My Deer Hunting Canoe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Johnboy

Re: My Deer Hunting Canoe

Unread postby Johnboy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:07 am

How do you all transport your canoe? I'm having trouble finding an effective way to haul it to the water besides in the bed of my truck, sticking out ?

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:24 am

Johnboy wrote:How do you all transport your canoe? I'm having trouble finding an effective way to haul it to the water besides in the bed of my truck, sticking out ?

They do make a canoe bracket that fits into your reese hitch to support your canoe sticking out.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:26 am

Johnboy wrote:How do you all transport your canoe? I'm having trouble finding an effective way to haul it to the water besides in the bed of my truck, sticking out ?

Just put the tailgate down and put one point of the canoe in a corner of the box. One ratchet strap and away I go. No issues even on the highway at 75mph.

14' canoe and 6.5' box so it sticks out some but no big deal.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:59 am

Same here, box of the truck and strapped in. I have a flat back canoe so that makes life a little easier but it still sticks out plenty. It's also goof for going incognito, I bet people think I am duck hunting. :lol:
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 am

I need to find a nice canoe. I started using my 12.5 foot old town angler kayak last year to access remote areas. It works great to sneak in, but there's no way I would be able to transport a deer with it. My only option would be to run home and grab my wife's 10 foot kayak and tow it behind mine. It would make for a great photo opportunity. Paddling across the lake with a big buck in tow, propped up with a paddle across his lap & orange vest and hat on him. (Weekend at Bernie's style!) :roll:
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:42 am

I redid a a sportspal last summer. Bought for $300. $200 in supplies and i have a nearly new canoe in od green
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:46 am

I painted my orange 16' coleman a few years back tan, with some cattails on it. Paint wore off quick
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:54 am

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:56 am

I bought special aluminum boat paint. Was $80 a gallon. It seems to be ok so far. 1 gallon did 2 coats on 2 canoes.
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I painted my orange 16' coleman a few years back tan, with some cattails on it. Paint wore off quick

I have been wondering about this. It seems that green canoes are hard to come by on the used market in my area, but red ones are everywhere. I'm an auto body technician so painting is no problem. The problem is that I haven't found a paint that will hold up like gel coat. I'm sure a thorough cleaning, some 220 grit on a dual action sander, an a gallon of green gel coat would do the trick. It's just a lot of work, and gel coat is a bit pricey. I'm wondering if a vinyl wrap would be easier, maybe in a marshland camo pattern. Has anyone here wrapped a canoe?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 am

nor' easter wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:I painted my orange 16' coleman a few years back tan, with some cattails on it. Paint wore off quick

I have been wondering about this. It seems that green canoes are hard to come by on the used market in my area, but red ones are everywhere. I'm an auto body technician so painting is no problem. The problem is that I haven't found a paint that will hold up like gel coat. I'm sure a thorough cleaning, some 220 grit on a dual action sander, an a gallon of green gel coat would do the trick. It's just a lot of work, and gel coat is a bit pricey. I'm wondering if a vinyl wrap would be easier, maybe in a marshland camo pattern. Has anyone here wrapped a canoe?

That is a brilliant thought, wrapping one with a vinyl. Wonder what that would cost.

I just used rattle can from the hardware. My main business is polyurea liners and coatings, and I get into some other materials like epoxies and such. I found a couple single components that I wanted to try, but after all the cleaning, sanding, etc., I didnt want the next try to peel off again so I have stayed orange.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:55 am

The problem with automotive paints is that they aren't designed for submersion and fail quickly. I did find gallon setups of gel coat for around $125 on ebay, so I guess that's not terrible. I like the idea of a camo wrap, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to the abrasion of pulling the canoe up on shore and in/out of the truck. That's why I'm hoping someone has tried it and can chime in with some insight.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:41 am

nor' easter wrote:I need to find a nice canoe. I started using my 12.5 foot old town angler kayak last year to access remote areas. It works great to sneak in, but there's no way I would be able to transport a deer with it. My only option would be to run home and grab my wife's 10 foot kayak and tow it behind mine. It would make for a great photo opportunity. Paddling across the lake with a big buck in tow, propped up with a paddle across his lap & orange vest and hat on him. (Weekend at Bernie's style!) :roll:

I've never personally tried it but, before I went home then came back I'd try floating him out. (if you don't gut him he'll float) tie him to your canoe and drag him out. Won't be a fun paddle but better then going home then paddlin back in.
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for the tip JakeB. I have not had to worry about it yet, but two of my best bow season spots are about a half hour paddle from my truck.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:45 pm

mag1 wrote:Sweet...... that would be much easier to handle than my Jon boat, and my little 4hp Merc would do good on it. Pricy, but probably worth it in the long run. Wouldn't need a trailer to haul it. :mrgreen:

It does a great job. I'll be taking out a couple of kids for the youth hunt next fall. Getting the stands in place and using the canoe for access should be great adventure for them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”