Buck's "CORE" area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Buck's "CORE" area

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:16 am

So I have been thinking; If I do my cyber scouting, then put the boots on the ground in post season, locate buck bedding areas, tracks/trails, establish some stand sites.

Then these area are going to be located and planned out Jan-Feb in most cases for me.
Do you guys feel like a buck has a core area year round? Ive always thought the bucks here went through what I call a summer shift pattern, meaning just as the bachelor groups start splitting up, velvet is starting to shed, the bucks shift from their summer patterns to pre rut, amd most times relocate up to a few miles away.

So when I locate areas I want to hunt according in sign found in Jan-Mar... will it most likely be late season before bucks return to the bedding areas I planned out a hunt on?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck's "CORE" area

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 am

Some bucks move seasonally and some stay put... It seems like the older age bucks generally seem to stick tighter to specific spots.

So when I locate areas I want to hunt according in sign found in Jan-Mar... will it most likely be late season before bucks return to the bedding areas I planned out a hunt on?

Post season scouting is not about finding "current" buck bedding...
The sign from October, November, etc. is still fresh on the ground when the season ends. In the marshes around my house often there are no deer at all using the bedding areas at scouting time cause they are in the winter spots.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:40 am

Okay that makes sense. So when youre scouting in post season, and locate buck beds, are the buck beds with rubs all around them generally beds used during pre rut, rut due to the rubs? Or will a buck rub trees anytime during the year when he hpis hard antlered?

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:15 am

Good questions, keep asking :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:22 am

Sorry for all the typos guys...dang android!
:)

FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 am

Not sure if anyone else has this type of pattern but I live in farm/marsh area. I get pics of bucks in July-sept. then they "disappear" until end of oct. I'm sure food sources and the rut play a big part in this. This year I plan to hunt my property very minimally to keep pressure low and make them feel safe when they are here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:29 am

FRH wrote:Not sure if anyone else has this type of pattern but I live in farm/marsh area. I get pics of bucks in July-sept. then they "disappear" until end of oct. I'm sure food sources and the rut play a big part in this. This year I plan to hunt my property very minimally to keep pressure low and make them feel safe when they are here.

If you have appropriate bedding cover and water some won't leave... the more goodies you have on your property = water, cover, food sources (multi = ag + soft mass + browse) the tighter you can get their core areas. Predator pressure definetly plays a role as well.... but by simply not visiting your property will not necessarily hold them. See Mike's post for creating bedding cover/food sources... If you don't have big buck bedding cover, you want your property to at least hold a fair # of does = a good food source and lower pressure usually helps.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 am

FRH wrote:Not sure if anyone else has this type of pattern but I live in farm/marsh area. I get pics of bucks in July-sept. then they "disappear" until end of oct. I'm sure food sources and the rut play a big part in this. This year I plan to hunt my property very minimally to keep pressure low and make them feel safe when they are here.

I dont have much private, but 1 i have is similar. It pretty predictable every year. It is only about 40 acres. It will hold usually 4 different bucks from early on until velvet drops. Almost every year is the same. 2 yearling basket racks, a decent 2 1/2 year old and 1 good 3 1/2 . Then come middle September the 2 1/2 and the 3 1/2 disappear. Frustrating.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”