Human Scent vs Weather

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Human Scent vs Weather

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 am

How does the weather effect scent left by a human. I know most hunters that pays attention to their scent prefers wet weather. I spoke with some guys saying the prefer extreme heat during summer months to scout.

Whats your thoughts, opinions?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Z7WIBoy

Re: Human Scent vs Weather

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 am

Scout = early spring before green up
Check cameras during rain storm - water washes out the scent
remote scouting (tops, maps, Bing maps, google earth) - any time and can plan your entrance and exit routes
just some ideas
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:00 am

The guy I was talking to about hot weather scouting...he believes scent dissipates in hot dry weather.
What do you think? To me id think it would linger longer

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:12 am

I have personally noticed huge difference between vegetation and no vegetation... meaning if there are tall grasses and or bushes and you have to walk through deer are gonna smell you. If you walk through a plowed field or area with low to no vegetation...

Touching things with your hands skin vs clothing/gloves makes a difference as well
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 am

I used past experience bird hunting behind dogs to answer this for me. Dry conditions are tough for animals to get on a track. If the weather is moist the conditions are better for the animals to scent...down pouring rain is a different story..obviously the human scent will wash away on a heavy rain.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 am

G3s wrote:I used past experience bird hunting behind dogs to answer this for me. Dry conditions are tough for animals to get on a track. If the weather is moist the conditions are better for the animals to scent...down pouring rain is a different story..obviously the human scent will wash away on a heavy rain.

X2...Human scent lingers in the air longer when it is moist and humid and the air is more dense.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:42 am

G3s wrote:I used past experience bird hunting behind dogs to answer this for me. Dry conditions are tough for animals to get on a track. If the weather is moist the conditions are better for the animals to scent...down pouring rain is a different story..obviously the human scent will wash away on a heavy rain.

Thats the exact same thing I was told. He worked Brittany(sp?) dogs. He says scouting during hot dry days is what he done. He used to live and hunt Indiana. He had some success on mature bucks...but mostly during rut...so I was curious how close he could actually get the bucks with his stick n string.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”