HIDE YOUR SPOT? OR ADVERTISE IT?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HIDE YOUR SPOT? OR ADVERTISE IT?

Hide it
77%
Advertise it
No votes
Depends on varibles
23%

Total votes: 115
welded34
500 Club

Re: HIDE YOUR SPOT? OR ADVERTISE IT?

Unread postby welded34 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:19 pm

I never used too hide it but I do now because I'm tired of people stepping on my toes. I hunt mostly private land with some buddies but now I'm going to start hunting public like crazy to avoid them. This is why I joined this site to avoid other hunters and hunt like a beast!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:08 pm

I have a hunting buddy that is currently miffed because I ill not tell him what public land I have been scouting for next year. We hunt private together but I have been tight lipped about my growing list of public land spots because he talks to much. :lol:
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 pm

I go to great lengths to hide what I do and where I go.....

My favorite is parking in the dumbest most obvious spot at the heaviest hunted place around and hike in....

Oh....a dog box in the truck with the tailgate down makes you look like you're just hunting dogs...NO ONE wants to bow hunt near a dog hunter so they keep going.....problem is that started drawing bird and rabbit hunters this season....one stopped and said "man I thought you were running dogs that's why Ihunted here!".

I honestly believe people follow me..the "he hunts there so it must be good and they must allow hunters..."

There's lots of ways I go about it....but none seem to work....driving down private driveways also didn't work....they just started sneaking in from other places....sickening...

This year parked back at a secluded place...I had a killer rut funnel that was on fire....I slip in and deer BLOW through...odd..wasn't chasing...it was RUNNING...

I leave after dark....

Buddy is shelling corn and we talk later....he said "why do you walk with 2 flashlights?!". I said I didn't have a flashlight....put it all together....I saw a truck in the next field over leaving as I left my stand...they went in there and busted out the deer walking in which is what I saw...my buddy saw them walking out beforeiI did....

I don't tell buddies where I go either....so one started driving around till he finds my truck then texting me crying to know where I am so he can hunt there too....I don't reply and he cries real tears...

I can't stand guys that can't and won't do their own work....

One year in rifle season...opening day...dad and I drug out 2 doe and a buck before 1000...we had snow...we didn't think much of it....passed a family unit on the way out...dad..son..grandad..uncle etc...

Next season back in the killin spot...hours before light....here comes a herd of lights! We flash lights to alert them we are already there...they flashed their lights like it was a joke! Daylight came and we were surrounded....we were gonna wait on bucks but decided to hammer does if we could to try to flush the other guys out...dad hammered one...I stayed in my spot....I hammered another..it death runs 30yds plowing into every tree along the way...I walk over and an ole guy comes over..."I was pulling the trigger and she fell over!". I just looked at him like he was an idiot...yep...grandpa from the year before.....said dad and his son are out in front of me and the uncle was up to dads left...they completely surrounded us....1 setup at each of our gutpiles from the year before!!!

Sickening lazy slobs hunters.....

I now even drag deer out crazy if needed...and don't gut em near my spots......

Killed a buck one bow season and gutted him where he fell..which was under my stand....the next season I went in to find someone cut all kinds of lanes....Thanx for saving me the work! Moron!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:47 pm

I learned a long time ago to never gut a deer near a good hunting spot on public land. Gut piles attract scavengers of all types! :roll:

Most times if I kill a buck in wet marsh I prefer to drag them to dry ground first to keep water and muck out of the cavity. Gutting now gets done in a completely different area and I do my best to conceal the gut pile away from access spots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:20 pm

I was young n dumb....dad raised me to be an honest hard working person....I thought that was how people were supposed to be...took me a while to learn that there are many slobs out there...and I have to go to great lengths to stay away from them...protect what's mine from them....

Don't get me started on slob turkey hunters....makes my blood boil!

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:08 am

I don't mind helping people out if I know they want the help and will appreciate it... However, I'm not going to take just anybody with me and put them in my best spots. I put way too much time and effort into finding them. If they wanted a good buck as much as me they could also work hard.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 am

This year on the opening day of Maryland gun season I took my BIL with me because he told me he didn't have a place to hunt. Long story short I shot a deer in the afternoon and we walked back to the truck to drop our stands and we're met in the parking lot by other hunters. One guy strikes up a conversation with my BIL and asks him if we got anything then offered to help us get the deer out of the woods. Before I could say anything he spoke up and excepted. Not wanting to be a D, I reluctantly ended up walking them both into one of my spots. I have no doubt I won't be alone there next year. Oh we'll. lesson learned.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:59 am

A guy I know is mentoring youth hunters. He lost his private spot this year and asked for advice where to take them opening day of gun...he's been hunting his whole life,I've been back into bowhunting two seasons.

I mentioned a few spots I know that hold lots of deer. As an afterthought I mentioned a favorite area but downplayed it. He's taking kids,right?... He must have caught on that I didn't really want him there,so that's where he went.

Next time I see him he comes up and shakes my hand "Thanks for telling me about that spot. Two of my three guys shot deer. We saw a bunch more. They're so excited. We're all going to bowhunt there next year"...

It turns out that these "kids" will all be adults by next year.

I should have known better. After a dozen or so personal stories like that regarding walleye fishing I thought I'd finally learned my lesson. ...But apparently not.

(edit) We've had a discussion regarding scent control. He thinks it comes in a bottle.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:01 am

We had our annual subdivision meeting in the early fall and thought it might be a good idea for the one weekend lot owner who hunts the same area as me to know where i'm hunting. So i park my truck on the road close to where i was hanging my stand and had sticks showing in the back of my truck. I knew he would see what was going on and then know the spot was being hunted by me and most likely stay clear. Well come prime time when i most expected to get a good sit i'm in my stand and he decides to take his utv off the road crashing through the brush and come right underneath of me (no vehicles allowed).
I can't believe i thought that was a good idea at the time. Probably a weak example compared to a lot of public guys, but i guarantee i won't be advertising nothing no more.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:53 am

Hide, hide, hide! I have been burned too many times, a couple times by family. the only time I tell anyone about a spot is when I want it to be pressured so I can play off that. It sucks to have to be this way, but people are people.
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 am

Never,iam picking apples.Even if iam standing there with my bow.Oh maybe once to the right guy.Ralph.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jake/PA
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/jake.huff.94

Unread postby Jake/PA » Fri May 16, 2014 2:53 am

How do you hide your locations but also have the ability to find them easily?

I am new to this beast style but if you're only walking through a tract of land one time to find trees, wouldn't it be tough to walk the same path in the dark? I was considering setting up tacks higher up on the trees or at the very bottom to avoid the wondering light. The trail would start in the woods, not directly at the parking area. After reading here, it seems like most of you avoid the trail markers all together.

Do you guys rely on GPS or navigational skills?
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri May 16, 2014 3:28 am

I only trust my brother. He had a guy he thought was his best friend, this was years ago, takes him to his hunting spot as his potential new hunting partner, he swore the guy to secrecy....next day, the guy is up there with his brother! Additionally, the guy now has his dad, and 2 brothers hunting the area, they put up stands all over that they don't even use, just to try and ward other guys away. It's insane. One of them got busted for hunting over bait last year.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:47 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Buckfever wrote:There's too many guys whose mode of operation is to hunt for others spots. Absolutely hide it. don't even let them see the direction you're going. Last year I had one guy follow my route in the next morning, caught him on camera walking
past my set. Fortunately he missed it. I changed my route in so that there's no chance I'm ever seen.

Its amazing what some will do! If he spent that time scouting and reviewing aerials he could find his own good spots.

Watch what you wish for.
They will probably end up at your spot anyway. LOL

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat May 17, 2014 1:54 pm

I try to ever and leave public spots in darkness to avoid other hunters, when possible. On a private spot it's 100 acres with 4 hunters. It's like a game of chess but I never pin point my spots when we share stories

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”