HIDE YOUR SPOT? OR ADVERTISE IT?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HIDE YOUR SPOT? OR ADVERTISE IT?

Hide it
77%
Advertise it
No votes
Depends on varibles
23%

Total votes: 115
Buckfever
500 Club

Re: HIDE YOUR SPOT? OR ADVERTISE IT?

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am

There's too many guys whose mode of operation is to hunt for others spots. Absolutely hide it. don't even let them see the direction you're going. Last year I had one guy follow my route in the next morning, caught him on camera walking past my set. Fortunately he missed it. I changed my route in so that there's no chance I'm ever seen.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Buckfever wrote:There's too many guys whose mode of operation is to hunt for others spots. Absolutely hide it. don't even let them see the direction you're going. Last year I had one guy follow my route in the next morning, caught him on camera walking past my set. Fortunately he missed it. I changed my route in so that there's no chance I'm ever seen.

Its amazing what some will do! If he spent that time scouting and reviewing aerials he could find his own good spots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Always hide it. If Im worried about someone else ruining my hunt because I didnt let them know where I am going Im not in the right spot.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:22 pm

I had some guys from Michigan, I meet and became friends with, they hunt public land in Missouri, they do very well, they had some guy from Michigan follow them all the way to Missouri and try and move in on there spots.

That's insane, people are nuts.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Hide it public or private.

"In the deed, the glory"
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 am

I've been thinking alot about this lately. To be safe I've been trying to hide my spots. Some people will try to avoid an area if they know its being hunted. Then there are some people that find out an area is being hunted and they think that they should hunt it to. I've been scouting for beds and finding trees to hunt these beds, and I would hate for someone else to follow a trail of ribbons or tacks to the tree I've hunted and then think they should hunt it too because it looks like a good spot.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:18 pm

IMHO there are very few "secrets". In SE Wi, just for example, the amount of hunters looking for spots is quite high. I have often scouted a new spot thinking it may have been overlooked by others only to find multiple trees that are trimmed and ready to hunt. You do what you think is best, but it has been my experience that if you know about it so does a few other people.

chris
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:54 pm

christian1 wrote:IMHO there are very few "secrets". In SE Wi, just for example, the amount of hunters looking for spots is quite high. I have often scouted a new spot thinking it may have been overlooked by others only to find multiple trees that are trimmed and ready to hunt. You do what you think is best, but it has been my experience that if you know about it so does a few other people.

chris

Welcome to the Beast Chris!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
christian1 wrote:IMHO there are very few "secrets". In SE Wi, just for example, the amount of hunters looking for spots is quite high. I have often scouted a new spot thinking it may have been overlooked by others only to find multiple trees that are trimmed and ready to hunt. You do what you think is best, but it has been my experience that if you know about it so does a few other people.

chris

Thanks. Funny thing is I found this place because I was scouting a place I used to duck hunt and always wanted to deer hunt. I was driving down the road and I see this sign that says "Hunting Beast Parking". Like I said, just when you think you find out a new place that might offer less pressure and new opportunities.....well, I bet you can put the pieces together by now :lol:
Missionman

Unread postby Missionman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 am

I clicked it depends. I say that because if I know the person well such as a friend, family or a hunting partner I will tell them where i am hunting but on the other hand i will not tell them the exact area. Anyother occasion I would be pretty secretive about where i hunt because i dont want other hunters walking around the area i hunt. Thats just my opinion.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:37 am

I have noticed that since I switched my way of thinking and hunting and got way outside the box, I never run into anyone, I think it is because I am the only one dumb enough to think it could happen there and to my suprise the dumber the spot the bigger the deer are.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 am

christian1 wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:

chris

Thanks. Funny thing is I found this place because I was scouting a place I used to duck hunt and always wanted to deer hunt. I was driving down the road and I see this sign that says "Hunting Beast Parking". Like I said, just when you think you find out a new place that might offer less pressure and new opportunities.....well, I bet you can put the pieces together by now :lol:

:lol: That was my house.. We had a deer scouting workshop in your "duck area"
Welcome to the Beast... Post an introduction in the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 am

keb wrote:I have noticed that since I switched my way of thinking and hunting and got way outside the box, I never run into anyone, I think it is because I am the only one dumb enough to think it could happen there and to my suprise the dumber the spot the bigger the deer are.

Right on! 8-)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:49 am

bump
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:29 am

Interesting thread for sure. I think in today's society you have to be a little discrete with any information you give out. I hunt some farms that are owned by friends of mine. If it wasn't for their selflessness I would not have as many places to hunt. I try and help people out. I can't share any spots that I am a guest myself. I have been known to share some spots with friends and people I know. If they can't keep it quiet then I wont help them out again.

I have been a guest on many private places over the years and would never divulge those places. I do feel it is nice to help others out as I was given some opportunities by generous people over the years. I have found that helping most people is an act of futility. They want to hunt their way and that could mess the area up in a hurry.

I offered to help a friend out about 10 years ago. He had a buck tag and had never killed a P&Y buck in 40 + years of hunting. He burned his tag on a spike and then wanted to go with me and kill a doe. I said no, the deal was a P&Y buck. I knew he would be stumbling around messing up the spot for later hunts. So most often you really cant help most others out anyway.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”