Hanging out clothing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Hanging out clothing

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:55 am

I bet I spent over $1000 in scent lok, sprays, cover scents etc. I couldn't believe how some guys would go hunting without scent free showers.

Today, I wash, air dry, and store in plastic totes. If I get real sweaty I wash it... I dress at the site of the hunt... no sprays, no cover scents, merrino wool top to bottom on the skin - doesn't seem to hold scent like synthetics and does an awesome job of wicking moisture.

I have seen numerous people including Dr Deer swear by Ozonics :?: If I felt it wasn't a risk to my health I would consider giving it a shot... but there again your still leaving a scent trail to and from your stand...

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Hanging out clothing

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

dan wrote:
I treat my clothes, like a coyote trapper treats his traps. Anyone who has trapped a coyote or a fox knows what I'm talking about.

You don't hide your body under the trap while your waiting on the coyote, do ya? :lol:
Your ever smelly body is within those smell free clothes...
After studying charcoal activated clothing thru real experts that deal with the same products on a professional level its pretty obvious to me if they could work, which they don't, they would be clogged after just a few outings and there is no garment that can take the heat to recharge them.

With that being said, I have a particular flannel shirt / jacket that has not been washed in probably 15 years. Man, I have had some luck wearing that thing :lol: Even had quite a few deer down wind...

Actually, taking a shower and wearing clean clothes is about as scent free as you can get... and it certainly can't hurt. But, They get in your wind stream down wind and your done. Thats all there is to it...
Those of you that think your beating a bucks nose really need to start using milkweed wind checkers. Cause clean or dirty or whatever, I use those when deer "seem" down wind and watch the stream go over or around the deer when there not alert. But dropping the milkweed every now and then and watching the wind streams I can just about time it to within a couple seconds of when I will get winded when they hit the spot where those wind checkers are floating tooo.

Great and very accurate post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”