Hanging out clothing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Hanging out clothing

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu May 13, 2010 12:38 am

I now that many people on this forum including Dan are not believers in scent loc. I too have become a nonbeliever now

But, do you still hang out your cloths to let them air out so that you not a massive bomb of stink! or do just throw them on the coat hook at the end of every day.

Ashley

Re: Hanging out clothing

Unread postby Ashley » Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 am

Sorry Joe, but I am one of the few that believe in scent-loc clothing...but just like any other clothes that you hunt in, you have to take care of it by keeping it scent-free (as much as possible).
I think the scent loc is not a scent free item of clothing, I think it helps contain human odor though, and you have to try to keep it scent free.
I hang my hunting clothes back in the "topper" area of my pickup. I live in an apartment and don't have the luxury of hanging my clothes outside...but I would if I could.
My outermost layers of my hunting clothes stay out of my apartment at all times, except for when I need to wash them or when I am storing them for the off season.
Go ahead everyone...tell me I am nuts for believing in scent loc! :?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 13, 2010 1:20 am

I have an older washing machine, that I got from my wife's grandfather, to wash my hunting clothes in. The clothes washer only sees unscented soap, and my hunting clothes, towels etc. I then air dry them on a clothes line next to the forest we live by. I like to get a rain or two on them as well. After they are dry, I put them in plastic bags and into rubbermaid containers. I figure why add any extra un-natural scent to my clothes. I also get dressed, once I arrive at my hunting site. No scent lok for me either, but I don't think you are nuts Sherry, if it gives you confidence go for it. We can't argue with your results! ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 am

I hang my hunting clothes back in the "topper" area of my pickup.
Just to clarify things. Your talking about a topper that's attached to your pickup right? If so aren't you worried about the fumes from your exhaust pipe? I promise you exhaust fumes are In there.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 13, 2010 1:33 am

Do you still hang out your cloths to let them air out so that you not a massive bomb of stink! or do just throw them on the coat hook at the end of every day.
I'm not a scent lock believer myself (no rip on anyone who Is). I could do a better job though at home here when I'm deer hunting when It comes to taking good care of my clothing. My hunting clothes usually get hung In the porch between hunts. I do wash my clothes allot though. I don't wash them In any kind of detergent for the most part either. Once a month I may wash them In some Night and Hale detergent but otherwise they get washed In just water by Itself. While I'm bear hunting all my clothes (Including every day clothes) get hung out In the woods close to pine tree's. The small pines I'll hang them on top of them.
Ashley

Unread postby Ashley » Thu May 13, 2010 2:12 am

Schultzy wrote:
I hang my hunting clothes back in the "topper" area of my pickup.
Just to clarify things. Your talking about a topper that's attached to your pickup right? If so aren't you worried about the fumes from your exhaust pipe? I promise you exhaust fumes are In there.

I have thought about that Schultzy...and honestly, I don't know if fumes are getting in there are not. I don't totally rely on my scent-loc...I still play the wind, I still spray down my clothing with scent killer before entering the woods.

I honestly cannot give you the answer as to why I haven't been "whiffed out" by any deer over the last few years. I do know that whatever I'm doing is working and I plan on sticking with it. I'm sure it's not just the scent loc itself, but it has given me confidence in feeling like I'm doing the right thing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 13, 2010 3:48 am

I don't hang my clothes out but instead I wash them in baking soda, dry them and then keep them sealed in a rubbermaid containers at all times. Everything I wear from head to toe is treated the same way and I shower before every hunt. If I wear a watch I wash it in peroxide before I wear it and use lot's of Scent Killer spray after dressing at my vehicle just before a hunt.
As you can see I am a fanatic about scent control and yes, I do wear Scent Lok as well. I can't argue with the results. Since I have started doing this I have had an unbelievable amount of deer show up from downwind. Playing the wind is still #1 for me but I believe every little bit helps. Some will say that is too much extra work so I guess it's not for everybody. Do whatever makes you feel confident.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu May 13, 2010 8:18 am

I store my stuff in a shed outside. A couple of weeks before opener, I wash my clothes (EVERYTHING I will be wearing including my packs) in scent free detergent, and then rinse them in baking soda or a carbon powder mix and hang them outside. After a few days of sun and rain, I fold them up (wearing gloves), and store them in containers inside the shed until I'm ready to use them. I'm definitely a believer in staying as scent free as possible and think it's worth the extra effort. This year I'm going to give Scent Lok a try for the first time.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 am

Before hunting season starts, I start using "Tide Free" on all my regular clothing.

While hunting, all my hunting clothes are washed and dried, and packed into sealed totes. I don't put on hunting clothing until I'm at my spot, and the vehicle is off. Then I change.

When I'm done hunting, all the clothes are returned to the sealed tote. Anything that was touching my skin, does not go in the tote. The stuff in the tote, I will use for three or four days max, before I wash it again. Sometimes I will take different clothing out of the tote to hang it outdoors, away form the house or vehicles. The sun and being outdoors has a cleansing effect on clothes.

Anything that was touching my skin goes back in the wash.

I treat my clothes, like a coyote trapper treats his traps. Anyone who has trapped a coyote or a fox knows what I'm talking about.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 am

I treat my clothes, like a coyote trapper treats his traps. Anyone who has trapped a coyote or a fox knows what I'm talking about.

You don't hide your body under the trap while your waiting on the coyote, do ya? :lol:
Your ever smelly body is within those smell free clothes...
After studying charcoal activated clothing thru real experts that deal with the same products on a professional level its pretty obvious to me if they could work, which they don't, they would be clogged after just a few outings and there is no garment that can take the heat to recharge them.

With that being said, I have a particular flannel shirt / jacket that has not been washed in probably 15 years. Man, I have had some luck wearing that thing :lol: Even had quite a few deer down wind...

Actually, taking a shower and wearing clean clothes is about as scent free as you can get... and it certainly can't hurt. But, They get in your wind stream down wind and your done. Thats all there is to it...
Those of you that think your beating a bucks nose really need to start using milkweed wind checkers. Cause clean or dirty or whatever, I use those when deer "seem" down wind and watch the stream go over or around the deer when there not alert. But dropping the milkweed every now and then and watching the wind streams I can just about time it to within a couple seconds of when I will get winded when they hit the spot where those wind checkers are floating tooo.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 am

I tried the scent loc base layers but the stuff doesn't breath and I sweated so much in it that my arm pit stink wouldn't wash out after awhile :roll:.

I still wash my clothes in unscented detergent and hang them out to air.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue May 18, 2010 8:22 am

Im with ya WIbowhuntress, there is no doubt in my mind that scent-loc works! However I'm getting away from it the last few years as my stuff ages and looses its effectiveness. I have been a scent freak for 2 decades with everything you can think of. I still am but have taken a little more relaxed aproach lately. After all these years I think ground scent is the most important aspect of human scent. I had a really good talk with a local trapper, bowhunter, scent maker, and game call maker, and he has a great feeling on human scent. He imbraces human scent along with cover, and atractants. He has alot of video to prove that deer dont run off to far lands when human scent is blown into there noses if it is at low levels and there is also some atractant values in the scent stream. This guy gave up hunting for a decade to devolop and document hes scents, and let me tell you he has some great points. I will talk to him and see if he will join this forum, he is a great guy, and a goverment trapper.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue May 18, 2010 8:53 am

I wash cloths in sent free Tide 24/7. Around hunting time the gear gets washed and then it never enters the house unless it HAS to. I use a huge zip lock to store my outer layers ( sent lock). Base layers are washed after I wear them. I also spray down with some sort of sent killer ( dead down wind). What's weird though, sent free sprays have their own unique order to them,hmmmmm!
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Im fortunate enough to have commercial washer at my firehouse that has an extractor and i religously wash my clothes in scent killer. I actually sold all my scent lok on ebay this year and bought every piece of clothing that predator makes and since ive had luck in the past with it. I truely believe you can wear just about anything you want and as long as you take the most precautions in keeping it scent free, thats the best it'll get. A deer has so many millions of receptors in their nose that if they want to pick you off and bust you, they can. Whether your wearing scent lok or jeans and a t-shirt. Play the wind, scent kill ur clothes, spray b4 you go in, keep clothes in minimal odor areas, and dont sweat going in and thats about all you can do.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue May 18, 2010 2:41 pm

I wash em in scent free detergent, then I hang in the woods for at least 2 weeks, then store in rubbermaid totes. As the season goes on, repeat as needed. When it gets to cold to hang out, I dry them in a dryer then hang out in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”