Shooting tips from a treestand...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ladykiller

Re: Shooting tips from a treestand...

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:25 am

Be mindful of your limbs and cams. They can easily hit something when you release the string and send the arrow astray.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:46 am

Practicing with your heavy winter jacket & safety harness. Also different positions. Sitting, standing, leaning & crouching. And practice with your broadheads!

Bending at your waist and keeping your form is also very important. And practice close shots...I think alot of people don't practice these shots!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:56 pm

In addition to all of the above I started a practice many years ago that I feel helps. I always take an extra arrow with a field tip along during the hunt. At the very last minute of hunting time (of course if nothing is nearby) I will pick out something on the ground and take a practice shot. Clothes, face mask, tree stand, etc all the same as during a live shot.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:32 am

We used to practice scenarios from a treestand where there might be a branch like halfway between you and the target to learn the trajectory of our arrow flight, you could aim at the branch and the arrow would shoot right over it and drill the target. Practice shooting through small openings in branches and things like that.

Also, when you're drawing on a deer you make less noticeable movement when you draw facing straight at the deer vs from the side. Try drawing in a mirror sometime from both directions.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:05 am

I shoot all year but don't practice much from my lone wolf until about a month before season starts. I put it up in my back yard and practice from it. During season I always have a judo point on one of my arrows. After a morning hunt I always take a practice shot or shoot squirrels. I have also shot possums, coons, rabbits, groundhogs, and coyotes from my treestand. I missed a beaver one year when I just started bowhunting from my stand. After shooting from the ground all year it does feel awkward at first shooting out of a tree. Why practice is important. I shoot trad so everything is magnified in difficulty so practice is even more important.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:18 am

Hawthorne wrote:I shoot all year but don't practice much from my lone wolf until about a month before season starts. I put it up in my back yard and practice from it. During season I always have a judo point on one of my arrows. After a morning hunt I always take a practice shot or shoot squirrels. I have also shot possums, coons, rabbits, groundhogs, and coyotes from my treestand. I missed a beaver one year when I just started bowhunting from my stand. After shooting from the ground all year it does feel awkward at first shooting out of a tree. Why practice is important. I shoot trad so everything is magnified in difficulty so practice is even more important.

Nice list of harvests Hawthorne :clap: :clap: ...Ive missed two coyotes so far and am still looking to shoot one of those !!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 am

A old timer shared one good tip with me. Try not to lock your knees during a shot. I was new to stand hunting and this was happening from being nervous up in the tree.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”