Best deer book youve read?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Re: Best deer book youve read?

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 am

Rather diverse and a few of the ones listed were nto my favs..it is interesting to be reminded how we all hunt/lean differently

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 pm

James wrote:Hunting Pressured Whitetails by John Eberhardt.

I've read a lot of hunting books and this was the first that spoke to me on the terms I hunt. I don't agree with everything John does or believes in but he has very similar strategies to how I like to hunt.

Same here. I really enjoy John's book for the same reason as you do James. I talked to him one year at the Madison Deer & Turkey Expo and he is a great guy. Felt like talking to an old hunting buddy. Very down to earth and understands and appreciates the challenge of hunting highly pressured public land.

My other favorite books are.........

Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon

Bowhunting Trophy Whitetails- An Advanced Approach To Taking Mature Bucks by Bobby Worthington

Any book by Steve Bartylla

Just bought.........

How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life by Larry Benoit..........paging through it looks like a great book and looking forward to reading it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Dewey wrote:

I've read a lot of hunting books and this was the first that spoke to me on the terms I hunt. I don't agree with everything John does or believes in but he has very similar strategies to how I like to hunt.

Same here. I really enjoy John's book for the same reason as you do James. I talked to him one year at the Madison Deer & Turkey Expo and he is a great guy. Felt like talking to an old hunting buddy. Very down to earth and understands and appreciates the challenge of hunting highly pressured public land.

Bowhunting Trophy Whitetails- An Advanced Approach To Taking Mature Bucks by Bobby Worthington

Just bought.........

How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life by Larry Benoit..........paging through it looks like a great book and looking forward to reading it.

You will enjoy Larrys book. It is the book that really made the Benoits well known. Another great book is Benoit Bucks. Blue cover and it outlines each individual brother and son with theyre personal details on how they hunt. The book is not in print anymore but you can find copies on ebay and amazon.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bioactive

Unread postby bioactive » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am

I think that anyone who has read and like John Eberhart's books will be even more impressed with Bill Vale's book.

It depends mainly on what you are looking for though. John has lots of great information for hunting pressured deer. But in my opinion, Bill's book has an incredible amount of practical tactical information. My God, it has 73 color illustrations of hunting setups. Like the following. Here is just one example of a diagram of a set-up from his chapter on "Playing the wind." I believe there are about 24 such illustrations in there, going into minute detail about every nuance of what he does, but more importantly, what the mature buck is doing. I have read many of the other books and think many of them are a good read. But this one is more like a text book for the serious bow hunter. Not to be read lightly :lol: .

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Dewey wrote:

Just bought.........

Dewey, I couldn't agree more. The only book I would recommend in addition to is Hunting Hard for Whitetails by Bill Winke (currently out of print). Real World Whitetail Behavior by Jim Roy is a decent read too.

I haven't found a GREAT book yet, but I never expect it. The best hunters learn from experience and those experiences can't be condensed to generalities. I'll settle for the commentary on this website for now! :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”