Deer scenting conditions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Deer scenting conditions

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:06 pm

I was thinking about this at work today so I thought I would post it and get a tactical thread going. I know when my allergies get going I have a hard time smelling anything and food is always bland too. I wanted to hear everyones thoughts on when a deer can smell at its best I.E. warm weather, dry weather, snow rain, wind, cold or hot etc. Also, have you ever noticed deer having a harder time smelling when crops are coming off like a possible allergy attack for them from the dust etc. In my experiences it always seems like I have been winded more in the early season, even with more foliage. I was thinking maybe the warmer weather has more to do with that, plus the chance of sweating etc increase. I realize a deer is going to bust you if they catch your scent regardless of when, but it always seems like I get winded less during colder weather or after a rain. What is everyone's thoughts?

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Deer scenting conditions

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Extremely dry or during/just prior to a very hard rain is when it's most difficult for deer to smell ground scent.. I was told this by several guys with tracking dogs. I assume it's the same for deer. This is when I check my cams. Damp and humid conditions are the best for deer to smell you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”