What is your minimum

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: What is your minimum

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:25 am

I've have the goal of shooting a buck that would fall in my top 5 for the past few years, my 5th biggest is about 115" and it would take a buck ten inches or so over that to make me trigger happy. I don't try the age thing yet as I feel it's nearly impossible to know a deers age without history, an educated guess can be made but in the end it's just that, a guess.

warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:28 am

In PA where i have lived my whole life and have good spots im looking for a solid P&Y buck or better but have a possible booner on a spot where i have history with and know of his couple bedding positions in Nov. and late season and in Ohio im looking for at least a 100" on a public parcel but ive seen some biggins but would just like to be successful out of state

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:11 am

I don't really care about age, when a buck is coming through the cattails you are going to have a tough time ageing him with tight shooting windows. Quick decision shoot or don't shoot. I tend to be more selective when it's a killer drag out, although last year I violated my own rule :lol:
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:58 am

Whatever I feel will be rewarding to myself. I feel with all the time and effort I put into scouting, running trail cams, and going crossed eyed looking at topos I would only be selling myself short by settling for anything less than my efforts. I have no problem eating tag soup. Just means I have to work harder. Besides I'm developing a great recipe for that soup.

Working harder is a pleasure, means more time learning the nature of one of Mother Natures most amazing creatures and spending time in the outdoors.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:14 am

I have seen friends shoot a 130" deer thinkin it was a 160 and o have seen a friend shoot a 160" thinking it would only score 140". Hard to really judge head gear but if it turns your crank then shoot. I have a 130" 7pt in my living room and anyone who has been here has never asked the score, just said it looked great

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 am

A mature buck that trips my trigger. Just has to look mature. Score doesn't mean as much to me as age.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:11 am

Ideally 4 or older but in my area they are just too few and far between so if it makes me a little shakey I don't cares bout the score

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:20 am

This season, I will be shooting the first legal deer that walks by.
Antler restrictions dictate 13" inside spread, or one un-branched antler.
But, after my shoulder injury this year I want the confidence boost of a deer on the ground. Any doe will do too.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:40 am

Any deer that is 2 1/2 or older. With my work schedule and young children at home with activities, I don't have the luxury of time to put in to hold out for a "trophy". Meat is more important to me than antlers at this point in my life.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 am

Looking for anything 110"+ in MI and anything 125"+ in OH and KS

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:07 am

I hold out for a large bodied deer, buck or doe, either is a trophy to me.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 am

dan wrote:I don't get to hung up in score... I prefer to chase mature bucks, but might change my mind as others said based on certain factors... I believe that most of the booners shot in my area are only 3 1/2 years old, and I shot what I believe was a really nice 2 y/o a couple years ago, I doubt many here would pass...
So I really can't put a age on it either, and really [glow=red]don't think most hunters know the real age of the bucks they harvest unless they have a specific history with that buck.
[/glow]

BINGO!

I guess I always get a chuckle out of guys saying they'd only shoot such and such year old deer.

We have an area taxi guy around my area that many of my friends and I use. I think it's $25 extra and he pulls a tooth from your deer and sends it to some place in Texas that cuts them and gives you an exact age. This guy does taxi work full time and pounds through a good number of heads every year. You would be absolutely amazed the actual age of some of the deer he does. Both ways, big racked bucks at 1.5 yo and spindly little 8 ptrs. at 4.5 yo.

I realize, in most cases, on the hoof, it's fairly easy to tell the difference between a 1.5 and an older 3.5 or 4.5 yo, but to say I only shoot 4.5 yo's or better , well, as Dan said unless you have history with a particular buck, your guessing.

As far as what I'll shoot... I guess I'll know when he shows and the green light goes on.

Never have to eat words that way!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:37 am

Depends how much I need meat. I'll shoot a fawn- Idc. Typically it's a two y/o minimum for bucks tho.

keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:24 am

3 points on one side here in PA..

Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:37 am

I've got 6 or 7 in the 100 -135" range from Michigan. I wouldn't shoot anything under 100". I've passed a few in the 100-110" range before because I knew something was bigger in the area. Around here a 120 inches is considered a very nice buck and a buck of a lifetime for a lot of Michiganders. Ohio my minimum is a little higher probably around pope and young or 125". I'll shoot a couple does before I would a 1.5 year old buck

Last edited by Hawthorne on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”