What is your minimum

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Re: What is your minimum

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 pm

This year on private, 4.5+ year old or 3.5 145+

This year public, close to P&Y

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 pm

I have not shot a buck with my bow. So if it is bigger than a 6 pointer I plan to stick him. I am just starting my beast journey so get the bugs out and see how my season ends up. I am excited since this will be the first year I hunt public

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Two backstraps and a heart beat gets a blade or bullet by me. Also been known to take a fresh road kill, so guess I am not steadfast on the heartbeat part :L:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
gutone4me
500 Club

Unread postby gutone4me » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:24 pm

4.5 or older score doesn't matter. Now a really nice 3.5 Kentucky buck in velvet might be in trouble.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:30 pm

That depends. I wouldn't say I have a minimum necessarily. I pass some deer that I don't want to shoot for certain reasons. I watch some deer a lot that I have figured out just about right on the dot, and I have chosen not to shoot them over the years because I know that I can go out and see them any time of the year and pick up their antlers every year, we got a mutual understanding with one another - they give up the antlers and they don't get an arrow flung their way. There are some deer that I watch that are 5+ now that I have been watching for years and they won't get shot. I never worry about what deer I pass and what deer I shoot because I always end up finding at least one a year that I want to shoot. It may or may not be the biggest but there's no real agenda as to how I choose which deer I want to take.

That being said, if I know that I will have an opportunity at a deer the following year, I will usually pass him. There's no guarantee but I usually have a pretty good idea if I will get another crack. Two years ago, I passed a 160 to try to get a shot at him this past year. I got all attached to him and over-watched him over the summer and didn't shoot him this past year, and passed him again. He's just been getting bigger and bigger but he's fun to watch.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Try to shoot mature bucks score does not mean much to me anymore.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:56 pm

would say 140 but will shoot 130s...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Do you set a minimum score for a buck? I've been looking for something 140"+. Although if a 5+ yr old came by I'd probably be more than happy to take him if he had a gnarly looking rack.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

I don't get it...You want something 140, but if a 5 y/o came that would be OK? Wouldn't you think a 5 y/o would be at least 140? Or are you saying the 5 y/o's in your area don't reach 140?

I'm not saying they don't get that big just that some of the older ones start getting smaller but still have really neat racks. The last 3 years I've been waiting to put another buck on the wall. I've come close but haven't been able to seal the deal. I've found bucks in August or September and tried to stick with them. I've let a couple smaller 120" bucks walk waiting for the ones I wanted knowing they were in the area. This year I'm going to try to hunt public more than my private so I'm kinda struggling with myself if a 120" buck came out on public if I would take the shot knowing what I have at home. Although in one spot I know there's a big 13 point running around that no one has gotten in the last 2 years. Decisions decisions

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm

I have a 142 and a 121 on the wall but my minimum is still 100", I live on NY where 6 year olds can be 100" and 3 year olds can be 150".

My buddy shot 2 three year olds last year. One was 50" the other was 95", I have a 121" three year old on the wall, but he may have only been 2. Hard to judge age around here so I just go by rack size.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:51 pm

I tend to judge by age rather than score on whether or not I will take the shot.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:49 am

This year, a doe is my minumum. Freezer is empty empty, and I have no clue where I am going to hunt or how the hunting is.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 am

First buck that comes in that makes my heart skip a few beats get killed.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 am

Prior to last year I've always had the minimum of 130. Everything smaller walked regardless of age. After thinking about It long and hard last year I changed my tune and said I'll take a 4.5 year old no matter the score If there Isn't a buck In that 130 Inch range I'm after. 3.5's 9 times out of 10 will get a pass from me unless there all of 130.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:01 am

Don't really have a minimum. I'm not interested in shooting smaller young bucks but will shoot 3 year olds most of the time. It really depends where I'm hunting, what I've seen out there, and my mood.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:27 am

Agreed on the if the buck looks good and it feels right I will shoot. I actually enjoy the feeling of having to make a decision when I see a buck. If my mind is already made up it takes some of the excitement away from me for some reason.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”